Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading reviews and still cannot decide which tire I want to try next. This will be my first experience buying new tires. My criteria was 1. price ($35 or less) 2. performance (rolling resistance and sticking in the turns) and 3. durability.

After reading the reviews, I realize I should also consider ride quality. Is this different than rolling resistance and sticking? From the reviews, it seems as if some tires absorb vibration and bumps more than others. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I ride for fitness and fun. No racing. Distance of 20-60 miles. Sometimes use the trainer, but it will be warm soon and most riding will be outdoors.

And what about kevlar vs. wire bead? What's the deal with that? Should I even worry about that?

I would appreciate any input and/or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

·
Formerly JL
155 Posts
What tires are you looking at? It may help give you an answer. How do you like the current set of tires you have now?

Most of your criteria can be pretty subjective (except price). Some one may have a hard time with Michelin's and love Continental's, while others find the opposite to be true. You'll hear all kinds of disagreements about performance/ride quality/durability.

As for kevlar vs. wire, most kevlar beads are for folding tires, where wire beads do not (tires are bought round).

Personally, using your criteria I like the Michelin Carbon's. They can be had for <$35 and I like the ride and durability.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
ronniedee said:
I've been reading reviews and still cannot decide which tire I want to try next. This will be my first experience buying new tires. My criteria was 1. price ($35 or less) 2. performance (rolling resistance and sticking in the turns) and 3. durability.

After reading the reviews, I realize I should also consider ride quality. Is this different than rolling resistance and sticking? From the reviews, it seems as if some tires absorb vibration and bumps more than others. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I ride for fitness and fun. No racing. Distance of 20-60 miles. Sometimes use the trainer, but it will be warm soon and most riding will be outdoors.

And what about kevlar vs. wire bead? What's the deal with that? Should I even worry about that?

I would appreciate any input and/or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Go with 25c tires instead of the standard 23c. It makes a big difference in ride quality. I like Michelin tires. The Carbons are a good tough tire......

·
Registered
38 Posts
Torreli's or Maxxis

I ride a set of Torreli's I bought from www.getawaybikes.com for $20 each. Really nice ride, not flats, expect for that one rock I hit at 35+mph, and they corner really nicely.

Rivercitybikes.com also has a set of Maxxis that are supposed to be really nice. They are 700x20, but they run big, so they are more like 700x23.

My recommendation would be for the Torrelli. I might actually buy a set for my track bike because they grip in corners really nicely.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Michelen Carbons...

shokhead said:
Some nice 700X25 conti's GP3000.Wont flat and are fairly light. www.biketiresdirect.com

Are a good tire for durability and rolling resistance, but they are harsher riding than some softer tires. Vittoria All weather Clinchers are a softer ride, wear out a little sooner, but handle fantastically.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
lyleseven said:
Are a good tire for durability and rolling resistance, but they are harsher riding than some softer tires. Vittoria All weather Clinchers are a softer ride, wear out a little sooner, but handle fantastically.
430 TPI has something to do with that.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Panaracer Tserv's

are another good, durable tire that fits into that price range. I ran them on a fixie a couple years ago, lots of skid stops and never a flat. they come in wider sizes too. you've got lots of choices in that price range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts