Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a couple of saddle bags for my bike and my wifes bike. They need to be easily moveable so we can use them on our mountain bikes aswell. Maybe I'll buy 4 bags. I don't know yet. Don't want a big bag. Something sleek and slim that could carry a few snacks(apple and granola bars usually).

Any recommendations? Please post pics of your set up and post the size of the bag.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I put my food in my jersey pockets. So the best bag for my bikes is one that is just large enough to hold a tube, tire irons, tools and patches. If it is too big, things rattle around when you hit bumps. Mountain bike need slightly larger bags since MTB tubes are bigger than road tubes.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ericm979 said:
I put my food in my jersey pockets. So the best bag for my bikes is one that is just large enough to hold a tube, tire irons, tools and patches. If it is too big, things rattle around when you hit bumps. Mountain bike need slightly larger bags since MTB tubes are bigger than road tubes.
Well, we don't wear jerseys.:p We don't go far enough away from our vehicle for us to warrant spare tubes and tube changing gear. We just use our road bikes on paved trails for now. We just like to eat I guess! We don't care about fixing stuff.:eek:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I use a Topeak wedge, probably the smallest they make; like ericm979, I wanted a bag just large enough for the essentials (multi-tool, CO2, patch kit, tire levers, tube). I couldn't possibly get Clif Bars, oranges or anything else in it. The great thing about the Topeak is that it clips on to a bracket clamped to the saddle rails, and you can get extra brackets. When I switch from one bike to another, I just have to slide the bag off one bike and slide it onto the other. If you must have more space from time-to-time, Topeak makes 3 or 4 sizes of wedges, and all use the same bracket.

I'll see about a photo if the description didn't already put you off....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Walrus said:
I use a Topeak wedge, probably the smallest they make; like ericm979, I wanted a bag just large enough for the essentials (multi-tool, CO2, patch kit, tire levers, tube). I couldn't possibly get Clif Bars, oranges or anything else in it. The great thing about the Topeak is that it clips on to a bracket clamped to the saddle rails, and you can get extra brackets. When I switch from one bike to another, I just have to slide the bag off one bike and slide it onto the other. If you must have more space from time-to-time, Topeak makes 3 or 4 sizes of wedges, and all use the same bracket.

I'll see about a photo if the description didn't already put you off....
Photo's would be great.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
shades9323 said:
Well, we don't wear jerseys.:p We don't go far enough away from our vehicle for us to warrant spare tubes and tube changing gear. We just use our road bikes on paved trails for now. We just like to eat I guess! We don't care about fixing stuff.:eek:
If you don't ride far enough from your vehicle to warrant a repair, then leave your food in the car too. Eat just before you leave or when you get back. It can't be that long of a ride.

Then you won't have to buy any seat bags!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
innergel said:
If you don't ride far enough from your vehicle to warrant a repair, then leave your food in the car too. Eat just before you leave or when you get back. It can't be that long of a ride.

Then you won't have to buy any seat bags!

We don't have much endurance yet. We took all of last summer off of MTB when we bought the boat. We got lazy and out of shape.:( We like to stop along each ride, enjoy the scenery and eat a snack. The purpose of the seat bags is to get the camelback off of my back. I already sweat enough! We mostly eat snacks when we MTB though.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Should be able to get an idea of relative size from this pic...like I said above, the idea is to carry the minimum of "emergency" stuff in the bag, and swap it quickly from bike to bike. As I'm one of those people who doesn't have issues with hydration packs, food and other frivolities go in the Camelbak.

I've seen the larger Topeak bags in this series, and the largest is probably 2-2.5 times as large as this one, large enough I'd think for a fair amount of snacking material. If you do buy the Topeaks, you can get the extra brackets out of the QPB catalog if the shop doesn't carry 'em.

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
Why do you feel the need to eat on such short rides that you don't feel the need to pack a spare tube? Is the ride just an excuse to eat a snack?

You say that you are not in shape for longer rides right now. Do you plan on being in better shape later? If you are eating 400 cal per ride, but only burning 200 cal, you are not really doing yourself any good.

I am a skinny person, and I still find that I have enough energy stores to ride for over an hour without the "need" to refuel. My suggestion is to either ride longer or give up on the extra snacks.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
You may have asked the wrong people.

Those of us who use seat bags use them differently than you plan to. They're for tire levers, a tube, a multi-tool and a few bucks.

Check out Bento Boxes. They mount to the top tube and stem and are intended for a sandwhich or other snack.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I used to use a Jand micro wedge

Never gave me a problem but now I just put everything in my jersey. Whatever works for you. The above wedge is TINY but gets it done.

but remember.... whatever you get make sure it's tied SECURELY to your saddle. There's nothing worse to see than the back of a bicycle who's wedge swings loosely back and forth like one big black testicle.... YUCK

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:p
rusa1586 said:
Those of us who use seat bags use them differently than you plan to. They're for tire levers, a tube, a multi-tool and a few bucks.

Check out Bento Boxes. They mount to the top tube and stem and are intended for a sandwhich or other snack.
But you are in the know on the bag sizes and how they look on a bike. You may use them differently than I plan to, but you do know how much can fit in them.

I prefer the look of a wedge on a bike(if it is not too big) as apossed to those corner bags in the frame.

As of right now, we can do an hour and a half ride on the roadies without the need for food, so I guess the bags would be more for the mountain bikes. When we do our local 13 mile loop, we like to stop in the woods and eat.

I love to eat, all the time. I only tip the scales at 150lbs though (5'10"). I have a fast metabolism, but I think it may be slowing down a little.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Mine holds a spare tube, CO2 inflator, levers, phone, chaintool/hex key and keys so my jersey pockets can carry munchies and wallet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Since you are thinking about buying 4 bags why not buy a few different sizes. Say 2 small bags, one slightly larger, and one larger still. Most bags go on and off quite easily and you can use which ever bags serve the purpose better for that particular ride. Also you and your wife don't have to have matching bags on a particular ride. You can take some tools, spare tube, CO2, etc and maybe she can take some Cliff Bars, phone, wallet.

The photo doesn't show the bag I use all that well, and it is partially open but for a frame of reference, on a typical ride it holds-Cell phone, Cliff Bar, small pouch with allen wrenches,CO2 cartridge, patch kit and tire irons inside. Spare tube in box and paper money. Anything extra which is usually an additional Cliff Bar I carry in a jersey pocket for easier access while riding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is a pic of my new bag.

Cannondale Fast bag 104 cubic inch.

The bag is bigger than it looks in the picture I think. This is what fits in.

1 spare tube
1 patch kit
1 multi tool
2 Tire Levers ( larger plastic ones)
Money/ID/ ( Nice mesh compartment for this) (also velcro straps to hold things down)
Cell Phone
Keys.

And there is still room for more. I could put some food in there but That goes in the jersey.

Bag was on sale at performance for 13.99 (there is a code for 10% off and 99 cent shipping)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BikerK said:
Here is a pic of my new bag.

Cannondale Fast bag 104 cubic inch.

The bag is bigger than it looks in the picture I think. This is what fits in.

1 spare tube
1 patch kit
1 multi tool
2 Tire Levers ( larger plastic ones)
Money/ID/ ( Nice mesh compartment for this) (also velcro straps to hold things down)
Cell Phone
Keys.

And there is still room for more. I could put some food in there but That goes in the jersey.

Bag was on sale at performance for 13.99 (there is a code for 10% off and 99 cent shipping)

What does that look like from the back view? Is it wider than the seat?

·
Banned
657 Posts
I ride w/ a 25-50 cu in seat pack just large enough to carry my driver's license, insurance card, compact multi tool, a $20 bill & few high tech snacks –concise & to the point. I’ve never needed anything more. I guess I could stick a banana in one hanging out. If you need to carry more get a bigger pack. I have a pack for each of my 8 bikes mostly specific to the brand bike just to be in suit. Cannondale, Trek, GT then Performance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.