Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 2010 Trek Madone 5.2 or 5.5 from LBS and they have them discounted about 10% from msrp but seems like I should be able to get a better deal?

What are the mark-ups in general?

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
if thats the bike you want and if that LBS is the cheapest you can it, then i guess thats your only option, right?

ask around but keep in mind the level of service offered by each shop and how much its worth to you.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Our local 'Bikeline" shops do about the same, even on 2009 and 2008's, not as much as you would think. Although I got 15% on my GF Cronus because it was the last one on the floor and they were trying to sell more of the treks, which are discounted less :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
gknight48 said:
Looking to buy a 2010 Trek Madone 5.2 or 5.5 from LBS and they have them discounted about 10% from msrp but seems like I should be able to get a better deal?

What are the mark-ups in general?
10-15% is probably all you're going to get off the bike, inquire about accessory discounts usually they are more willing to work with you on that.

·
Trying to return....
418 Posts
I am going to post something which has been posted 1000 time before, and ignored 1001 times.
Bike shops do not make a huge margin on bicycles, they rely on parts sales and service for the operating revenues.
If you feel the shop should be able to give you more off, ask the owner/manager what's the best he can do.

10% on a $3000 bike is a huge discount.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
actually 10% on a 2010 is not that great of a deal,

10% on a brand new 2011 should be about standard of what you'll see (unless there's some compelling service story at the LBS)

it it's a 2010 it should be on closeout, and 25% shouldn't be unreasonable at all

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
roscoe said:
it it's a 2010 it should be on closeout, and 25% shouldn't be unreasonable at all
Ditto. Trek dealers always whine about low margins. Then they go and sell stuff at 25-35% off proving they they CAN discount IF they want to.

Happens every year. But 2010 was an unusual year because most manufacturers underestimated demand and under produced. Thus there is much less 2010 stock on the floors now than there was 2009 stock a year ago.

Always bargain. Be creative. Walk away at least once (in the long run it is worth the occasional lost opportunity).

Don't cry for the bike store owners. They can always say "no" (but they seldom do). They are big boys with the experience and resources. All the customer has is his wits and his money.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Instead of asking for a discount on the bike, ask for discounts/free items like water bottle cages, water bottles, computers, pedals, etc.

You'd be surprise what they will discount.

·
lonewolf
7 Posts
As far as I can tell, the reason to buy a new bike is to get the frame warranty. Like new cars, when you leave the showroom the value drops significantly. I have a 2008 Madone 5.5 frame that I got on the web and then ordered the components and wheels from Lickbike in Chicago. Cost was significantly less than a new bike. I have read many threads about people who bought new frames with warranties on the web and built them up. The big secret is that many high-end carbon frames are made by a few companies in Taiwan. Look at Pedal Force, Soul Bike and an American company Neuvation. John can sell you a top of the line carbon frame w/ SRAM Rival or Force for a little more than half of what you would spend on a new Trek. If I wanted a Madone I would wait until I saw the correct sized frame on this web-site, Bikeforums.net, Serotta Forums or e-Bay.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts