Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I am a 30 yr old female from Albuquerque, NM doing my first sprint triathlon in August. I have been training up and using my old mountain bike to practice riding. I want to buy a new women's hybrid bike for the race but also need it to tote my toddler behind me in a trailer when I'm riding for fun. I would consider a road bike but don't ever plan on riding for more than 15 miles or so? I'm told a road bike is uncomfortable.

I've been looking at the women's DiamondBack Clarity STI-8 or the Raleigh Alysa FT1. Both are only 8-speed though and I'm wondering if that will be enough. I'm completely ignorant on bicycles and don't know what to look for. My budget is from $500-$800.

Any suggestions and/or guidance in selecting a bike? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kelly

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
I don't see the point of buying a hybrid. Your mountain bike with slick tires mounted will be just as fast. Look for a road bike that fits you and has sti shifters (integrated brakes and shifters). Fit can be very sensitive on road bikes- it's not just a matter of eyeballing the seat height.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I'm told a road bike is uncomfortable.
That's the one thing I can tell you is nonsense. Given proper fit and a good saddle, a road bike will be your most comfortable choice for riding on the road. At your budget, you may or may not want to invest in a fitting session, but try out some bikes and see how you like them. Whether or not you need a women-specific bike depends on your specifics (height, leg versus torso length, etc.). There is a women-specific forum here that you could also consult for advice. There are some very knowledgeable ladies in there as well.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think people ride penny farthings for sprint tris. Use your MTB until you decide you like cycling. Then maybe look at a cross that can take your trailer. If you don't need a bike then you don't need to spend money on a bike just for a sprint tri, your MTB is great for fitness, you are not looking to burn anyone on the cycling leg so I think the term race is a bit of a stretch, and you want to trail your kid. Once you have done your tri and seen the light, you will want a road bike and too bad about that kid LOL. Or you get a cross. Save your 800 and add some money to give yourself a better budget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello!
I would consider a road bike but don't ever plan on riding for more than 15 miles or so? I'm told a road bike is uncomfortable.
I used to commute on a mountain bike with skinny tires, 11 miles each way. A buddy finally talked me into getting a Road bike with drop bars. I can tell you from experience they are way more comfortable riding then a mountain bike on road. After 15 years of riding mountain bikes, it just felt very weird at first, after a couple weeks i loved it. It felt so comfortable i started riding it just for the fun of it on the weekends.

As for using it for you first TRI, don't worry, just ride what your training on for your first one.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My suggestion is to set-up the mtn bike as hybrid bike to pull the kiddie trailer. The difference between a mtn bike and road bike on short sprint tri is massive. I can average 3 mph faster on my road bike on the same terrain and so you are looking at 4-5 minutes at least. That is alot of time in sprint tri. I did my first sprint tri on a used road bike rather than my mtn bike. In fact I got my road bike just to do a sprint tri and really like it. The past two weekends I have done a 50+ mile road ride both weekends. I keep the mtn bike for the trails and road bike for tri's and quick after work spins. I want to do a family ride I will bring the mtn bike since it more comfortable going 5-7 mph. I don't like going slow on my road bike and it is not comfortable going slow. However once I start riding the bike with some effort it all comes together.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Hello!

I am a 30 yr old female from Albuquerque, NM doing my first sprint triathlon in August. I have been training up and using my old mountain bike to practice riding. I want to buy a new women's hybrid bike for the race but also need it to tote my toddler behind me in a trailer when I'm riding for fun. I would consider a road bike but don't ever plan on riding for more than 15 miles or so? I'm told a road bike is uncomfortable.

I've been looking at the women's DiamondBack Clarity STI-8 or the Raleigh Alysa FT1. Both are only 8-speed though and I'm wondering if that will be enough. I'm completely ignorant on bicycles and don't know what to look for. My budget is from $500-$800.

Any suggestions and/or guidance in selecting a bike? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kelly
IMO, I would get a road bike. A Trek Lexa would fall in there...but, since I personally hate the shifters on the 2300.... I would spend the extra money to get the 9-speed Sora. There is also the Specialized Dolce

For kiddie trailers... which one do you have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.