Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need a quill stem for my 1" threaded steel fork on my Merckx MX Leader. This is the first road bike I've had with a 1" threaded fork so it'll be my first quill stem. I'm a big guy (hence the MXL) but I'm also not very flexible so I'll need a taller stem. I just got done doing some mockups/measurements on the new frame and it appears I need a stem to get my handlebars in the following location. Inline with the headtube the stem needs to be 14-15cm above the top of the headset. If I then draw a horizontal line from that point I then need a stem that's 12cm. Does this make sense? Will most stems come in a complementary angle such that it'll be level (or nearly level?) If I get a higher angle stem I don't need as much stem above the headset, correct?

So what stems come in this size? I've seen the nitto technomic will allow 16cm above the minimum insertion line. Is that pretty much my only option?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
The Nitto Technomic is probably your best option for a one piece quill stem. The extension angle is 71° to more or less complement standard head tube angles.

Another option is a 22.2mm quill adapter that lets you use a threadless stem. Since you can buy threadless stems with different angles, extension lengths, and rise, you have the best of both threaded and threadless worlds. You can adjust the height of the quill adapter inside the threaded steerer tube, use whatever threadless stem (angle, extension length, rise) suits you, and have the advantage of removing the handlebar from the stem clamp without having to remove the brake lever on one side to slide the bar out.

While I've heard complaints that this arrangement is the worst of both worlds, my experience with it has been very good. The steering is rock solid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts