Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Carbon Seatpost to take some road vibration out of the ride...I dont need the Mega Whammy deluxe, just a good solid good value for your money kinda thing. Sorta like the 04 Trek 1500 it will be going on.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
josh51699 said:
Looking for a Carbon Seatpost to take some road vibration out of the ride...I dont need the Mega Whammy deluxe, just a good solid good value for your money kinda thing. Sorta like the 04 Trek 1500 it will be going on.
A CF seatpost will do very little to reduce road vibes. A better option would be to take a bit o' air out of your tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never knew that, I was always under the impression that it did reduce vibration.

So what is the disadvantage to lowering your tire pressure? I keep mine at around 110 which isn't too terrible high.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Good vibrations

josh51699 said:
Never knew that, I was always under the impression that it did reduce vibration. So what is the disadvantage to lowering your tire pressure? I keep mine at around 110 which isn't too terrible high.
The scientific data says that anecdotal reports of RBR posters are clear. CF posts dramatically lower vibration for some people, and make no difference for others. IME, when you have this kind of situation then the question is wide open, perhaps dependent on the specific post, the length of the post out of the frame, the weight of the rider, the setup of the rest of the bike, and (perhaps most likely) the desire of some people to experience an improvement contrasted with the skepticsm of others.

Lower tire pressure raises the risk of pinch flats, but many people ride at 90-100 psi and don't get pinch flats, so whether reducing 5 psi makes a difference for you is an open question. Few of us have tire pressure gauges that are accurate to 5 psi, so in fact when one person says they ride at 110 and another says they run 100, they may in fact be running at the same pressure. That said, there is no doubt that reducing tire pressure by 10 psi will have significantly more effect than virtually any other change you can make.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The scientific data says that anecdotal reports of RBR posters are clear. CF posts dramatically lower vibration for some people, and make no difference for others. IME, when you have this kind of situation then the question is wide open, perhaps dependent on the specific post, the length of the post out of the frame, the weight of the rider, the setup of the rest of the bike, and (perhaps most likely) the desire of some people to experience an improvement contrasted with the skepticsm of others.
I agree...

Kerry Irons said:
Lower tire pressure raises the risk of pinch flats
Maybe tubulars aren't such a PITA after all... ;)

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Yeah, don't have any illusions about a significant difference from a carbon seatpost, but they can look cool! I got my Easton new from a vendor via eBay for a song (maybe $50).

Other options include better bar tape (since a lot of the vibration issue is probably in your hands), 700X25 tires, a saddle with ti rails, and as others have said lower tire pressure.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Stiffer?

kronicade said:
Isn't carbon stiffer then aluminum?
Wouldn't that depend on the specific design of each post? The type and density of the CF, how it is layed up, wall thickness, etc. would all determine which specific post was stiffer than the other.

kronicade said:
Wouldn't a stiffer post create more vibration?
Something can be stiff and still damp vibration, or be very flexible and vibrate a lot (like a spring). These are different properties.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FSA SLK Carbon Fiber Seat Post

I got a brand new one on eBay for around $40 plus shipping and I am completely happy with it. If you are patient and watch them a period of a week or so, you can get a great deal. Using sniping software to place a last second bid helps to avoid a bidding war. I use Auction Sentry, available at www.auctionsentry.com Good luck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just swapped my high-zoot carbon post for a Thomson (I need a zero-setback model) and felt NO difference whatsoever. If you want better ride quality, get better tires, run them at 90psi, use standard 32-hole wheels, get a more padded seat ect. The carbon seatpost is just a waste of money unless you are picking one up for cheap, IMO. The FSA SLK mentioned above is VERY heavy and has a cheapo 1-bolt clamp that is hard to microadjust. A Thomson will be just as light and more functional than most any post on the market.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
some more non-scientific data. the Specialized pave seatpost reduced road buzz on my last alumimun ride. how much buzz? who knows, it's based on a feeling. But i'm in the 200lb zone and have alot more dead weight, so someone 145lb may not feel so much buzz to begin with. that being said you can pick up a used dura-ace seat post on eBay pretty cheap $30+. why dura-ace? because their really light, 2003 post is like 180 gms. the Pave can be usually had for $60+ on eBay. the last option is an Alpha Q seatpost but i think those are carbon wraped aluminum also $40+ on eBay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts