Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace a Topeak JoeBlow PX (TJB-P1).
I've been pretty happy w/ the JoeBlow, but A) they don't seem to make that exact PX model anymore; B) it just stopped working for no apparent reason after only 2 years, so maybe I'm not so hot on getting another Topeak if that's their lifespan; C) just wanted to see if there's anything else out there I should be looking at. (Saw a Planet Bike Ozone ST in the LBS & thought it had potential, but didn't get a chance to try it out.)

Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
specialized air tool pro

Great pump, probably the best thing specialized makes (sorry specialized folks). Seriously, great pump; very readable gauge for those early morning havn't really opened your eyes yet pump ups, good sturdy base, and an awesome little button on the handle of the pump that allows you to let air back out of the tires if you over pump. You can give it a quick tap and let out 5 psi or hold it for 3 or 4 seconds and drain the whole tire. Pretty sweet.

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
I like my Silca floor pump a lot, with only two exceptions:

1. It does not like threaded stems. It's a real bear to get the pump head off after inflating them.

2. If you have poor eyesight, it may be hard to see the gauge. This is not a problem for me (I turn 40 next month but am lucky to not need glasses yet), but could be for some. The pressure gauge on my pump (c. 2002) is at ground level. Having it higher up and/or with larger numbers would be a good thing.

But overall I love it. It's nothing fancy, but it's a workhorse.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
I have a Silca pump head that I put on some Topeak piece of crap or other, and now I'm happy as can be with the pump. I don't like the lever-action pump heads--the Silca just pushes on--and I like that I can get a replacement rubber grommet easily when mine is finally too eaten up by threaded stems.

So I think any reasonable pump is fine, as long as you have the Silca head to go on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Specialized Air Tool Pro

I have used a number of pumps, and my favorite is my current Specialized Air Tool Pro. Although your gonna pay about 60 bucks for it its worth it. The stroke is very long so you get a lot of air per stroke but it still feels very sturdy even when the pump is fully extended. The guage is very accurate and the bleed botton on the top of the pump is also very convenient. Most importantly the base of the pump is very large and has room for both feet. You really can't knock this one over while pumping. Overall the pump has a very sturdy feel and is extremely well built. I would definetly recommend it.

-Charny

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
DarkCarc said:
My JoeBlow pump is approx. 6 yrs. old and its beginning to show signs of wear. I believe the seal is worn because air leaks when on the stem. Can I buy replace gaskets for this pump?

You certainly can. Pop into one of your local bike shops and I'm sure they'll have a catalogue with all the available parts for Topeak.

I went into an LBS a few weeks back looking for pump parts (the valve head is starting to leak a bit) and the fellow behind the counter opened up a catalogue and found a variety of those plastic washers for various pump brands selling for around $4 or under. Certainly not cheap for a dinky piece of plastic, but less expensive than a whole new pump. A Silca head, including the brass chuck and rubber washers, may not cost a lot more; I've not used one, but some people swear by them.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Why not diagnose the problem and fix it? Probably pretty simple because these are pretty simple machines. Go here for diagnostics http://www.todson.com/support/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewent&id=4

My Joe Blow is over 10 years old and going strong. I've done my first service on it this year, put a drop of oil in the barrel to improve the seal and stop a squeak. It pumps tires on my eight bikes and the whole neighborhood. Can't beat it for reliability and performance.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Blackburn offers a lifetime guarantee. I tend to buy things with lifetime guarantees. I've been reading posts on floor pumps for quite a while and lot of people love the Silica Super Pista. I have an Ascent that I bought on line for $12. The only thing I worry about with this pump, it does not have a dual head. One head (hole) works with Presta and Schraeder. It works allright now, but I'm sure what's going to happen down the road.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've had several over the past 40+years. The one I liked the best was the Zefal Double Shot. I don't think they're made anymore. All the others I've tried have been about the same. I have "The Big Red Pump" from Nashbar. I've been using that for about 3-4 years now. It works fine, and it's quite inexpensive.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i 4th the Specialized Air Tool Pro. The 3 shops (same store, diff locations) I worked at last summer have used them for 4-6 years w/o problems. Two other stores I go to use it as well.

I bought one myself and love it, as do my teammates.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Silca floor pump

Sure it is not as fancy as some of the other pumps out there and the air pressure guage is low to the ground but all parts are replaceable and have been for years. My twin brother and I bought our pumps over twenty years ago and they are both going strong. Plus there is some kind of mystique of having something made in Italy that is cycling related. I also bought a Cinelli work stand 25 years ago that is still going strong. Now if I just had an Italian bike to go with that I would be a much happier guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.