Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Colorfulness White Line Style

Currently building a HongFu FM 169 (Avenger R8) with Ultegra build. Don't have any spare wheel sets so looking to buy one. My budget is maximum $1500 but prefer to stay below $1000. I weigh 170lbs and looking for a aero wheelset. The list of wheel set above are what i'm looking at and you're more than welcome to add more suggestions.

Looking at minimum 40mm profile but prefer 50s to 60s. Prefer Alloy/carbon over full carbon for swapping wheel set conveniences and better wet braking but if the wheel is reaching full carbon pricing territory .. then might as well go carbon. Would love it to be light and strong but i understand that will cost a pretty penny.

I have used Vuelta Corsa SLR, Bontrager TLR that came stock on my Emonda S6, and currently on Shimano Ultegra 6800 wheelset. The 6800 wheelset is currently on the Emonda and the Bontrager is on my commuter bike. The Vuelta was sold.

I ride my commuter on streets and emonda mainly on trails that are 95% flats and once in a while get catch in some showers. Both bikes are on 25mm and i have a Specilized Turbo 24mm for the new wheelset.

I for the most part do most of my own wrenching, so really no preference either loose ball bearing or catridge bearing.

I'm heavily leaning towards:
low range of budget: Shimano RS81 C50
mid range of budget: Giant SL 1 aero, Reynolds R Six ( PB have it on sale @1200)
high range of budget: Shimano Dura Ace C50

I dont have experience on any of the listed wheels so i'm open ears for suggestions and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
November Rail 52 seems to fit your specs.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into it and read a few review where it looks like it has good review and that the wheel can't seem to maintain speed. For that money .. i think i'd rather go with the Dura Ace C50.

Just got in the mail from PB with 3x member rewards points back for the Reynolds R Four and Six, $1100 and $1200 respectively. So i'd get $330 for the R Four and $360 for the R six back. hmm .. such a hard decision.

What makes it worse is that i read up on another review of the Boyd wheels ... that's now i'm the list too ..

·
Registered
265 Posts
A popular wheel with the Tri crowd is Flo wheels. They have a very similar design to the Hed Jet's with a 60mm and a 90mm offering for a fraction of the cost of Hed brand new. Flo also released carbon clinchers for a reasonable price too.

The only caveat is their ordering system, they only have XX amount of wheels available and open ordering every few months or so. First come, first serve and can sell out in minutes with server overload issues. If I already didn't have HED wheels I bought used for a deal, I'd consider Flo also. They also aren't technically UCI legal since (and this is what I've seen other posting) that they've never submitted their wheels or paid for the UCI certification process.

Look for Flo Cycling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read into the Flo before, due to the carbon fairing not being structural and ordering .. it wasn't on my list.

Just checked and now the 2016 full carbon model looks intriguing. Possibly a 45/60 set in clydesdale or even a 60/60 set.

That Reynolds R Six @ $1200 +tax with $360 store credit after purchase sounds very tempting. Only issue is the width is 21mm. That $360 store credit can be used in future tool purchase and other things that's also on the horizon for my current build.

hmm.. decisions

·
Registered
265 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the carbon fairing. I have a set of Hed Jet 5's and all Jet's have structural fairings. Works great and and has held up well. Flo's design was inspired by HED but came up with a cheaper option.

I've thought about buying the carbon rims from Flo and lacing them up to hubs of my choice actually....but right now I'm in the market for some other goodies and can't buy both.

Good luck you can't go wrong with most of those choices.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into it and read a few review where it looks like it has good review and that the wheel can't seem to maintain speed. For that money .. i think i'd rather go with the Dura Ace C50.

Just got in the mail from PB with 3x member rewards points back for the Reynolds R Four and Six, $1100 and $1200 respectively. So i'd get $330 for the R Four and $360 for the R six back. hmm .. such a hard decision.

What makes it worse is that i read up on another review of the Boyd wheels ... that's now i'm the list too ..
I don't know what review it's from, but "the wheel can't seem to maintain speed" is my vote for the dumbest comment of the year. As an engineer this comment offends my very senses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about the carbon fairing. I have a set of Hed Jet 5's and all Jet's have structural fairings. Works great and and has held up well. Flo's design was inspired by HED but came up with a cheaper option.

I've thought about buying the carbon rims from Flo and lacing them up to hubs of my choice actually....but right now I'm in the market for some other goodies and can't buy both.

Good luck you can't go wrong with most of those choices.
That's the problem .. they all are pretty good choices. Thanks for your feedback!

I don't know what review it's from, but "the wheel can't seem to maintain speed" is my vote for the dumbest comment of the year. As an engineer this comment offends my very senses.

Beats me .. that's what i read in regards to Flo's older wheel sets. I'm not an engineer so this would be my guess:

Maybe that the weight of the wheel might be more towards the center of the wheel when compared to other wheelsets. Less weight in the outter edge will mean better acceleration but less momentum, therefore it requires a bit more effort to maintain speed and/or their aero profile is not that efficient? Specially when the new 2016 model seems to have improve by 20 something percent?

Of course this is all a guess so who knows.

Flo Cycling 2016 Wheel Line ? First Look - AeroGeeks
FLO Cycling - Front FLO 60

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's the problem .. they all are pretty good choices. Thanks for your feedback!

Beats me .. that's what i read in regards to Flo's older wheel sets. I'm not an engineer so this would be my guess:

Maybe that the weight of the wheel might be more towards the center of the wheel when compared to other wheelsets. Less weight in the outter edge will mean better acceleration but less momentum, therefore it requires a bit more effort to maintain speed and/or their aero profile is not that efficient? Specially when the new 2016 model seems to have improve by 20 something percent?

Of course this is all a guess so who knows.

Flo Cycling 2016 Wheel Line ? First Look - AeroGeeks
FLO Cycling - Front FLO 60
Just to be clear, that comment wasn't aimed at you but the review.

However, that is going to be my new favorite Strava excuse.

"Extra slow run this morning. My shoes couldn't hold their speed very well. "

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to be clear, that comment wasn't aimed at you but the review.

However, that is going to be my new favorite Strava excuse.

"Extra slow run this morning. My shoes couldn't hold their speed very well. "

No worries I didn't take it as that.

Shoot .. my excuse would be:

" I am always going into a headwind .. no matter which direction and time I'm riding. :confused5:"

:lol:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Performance has a house branded wheel that's a zipper rim with DT 350 hubs, made @ zipper in Indy. I've heard that they have been on sale for as little as $1399. Can't see how there's a better deal than that out there..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Agree with the "can't maintain speed" being a dumb comment.

I have or at least use to have, before my wife stole them for herself, an older (4 or 5 years) set of 50mm Boyds and they are holding up great. They are old tech with the narrow rim but no issues with them at all.

I recently built up a wheel set with Farsports FSL58CM-28 very wide rims. Very nice for the price (less than $400 delivered). I run them with GP4000s tires in 25 and they are nearly flush with the rim at an actually 29mm or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why not chinese carbon wheels? Chinese frame with brand name wheels is doing it backwards.
I haven't really looked into it because for the most part, their asking price is too steep for what it is. For example, the yeoleo's are asking for 560 for standard model and 800+ for their pro models. Based on the options I want .. it priced out to be almost 1100 for full carbon clincher. for 1100 .. I might as well go for the Reynolds for obvious reasons.

The farsort of the UAM/Hongfu wheels's asking price are around 500-600. Again .. for 180 more . I can get the shimano RS 81 C50. 180 more for known reliability is worth it to me.

The Farsport one is probable the highest on my list to buy out of all the chinese carbons

1 - 16 of 16 Posts