Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cross post from wrenching forum

I have a 1970's cross frame which I use for fixed commuting

the frame doesn't take modern cantilever brakes very well - I think originally it took MAFAC cantis which are virtually impossible to get hold of

the front fork has 6cm clearance at the cantilever stud - the rear frame/seatstays have 7.5 cm clearance at the cantilever stud

any suggestions on where I could find some brakes that fit - have heard that Spooky and Pauls may work but don't wanna spend the cash without knowing they'll fit the frame

thanks!

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
M.J. said:
cross post from wrenching forum

I have a 1970's cross frame which I use for fixed commuting

the frame doesn't take modern cantilever brakes very well - I think originally it took MAFAC cantis which are virtually impossible to get hold of

the front fork has 6cm clearance at the cantilever stud - the rear frame/seatstays have 7.5 cm clearance at the cantilever stud

any suggestions on where I could find some brakes that fit - have heard that Spooky and Pauls may work but don't wanna spend the cash without knowing they'll fit the frame

thanks!
I'd probably give up and mount some long reach centerpulls or sidepulls - if possible. You could cut the canti bosses off or leave them on for that urban assault vehicle look.

- FBB

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
may do - I emailed Pauls (and others) the consensus seems to be that this is a common problem with older bikes - everyone says that minimum space required is 7.5cm (exactly the space in back) - as I only have 6cm in the front they suggest I have the studs/bosses moved

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.