Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of Onyx Road DS hubs. Super excited to build them up but unsure of what rims to pair them with.

-Use: road riding, some road races but mainly just roads with hills and friends

-Bike: switching between road and TT bike. Mainly road bike.

-Needs: Tubeless compatible rim, 24/28 spoke holes, carbon or alloy (i'm open)

-Rider: 165lbs

Thanks!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
How about the DT Swiss R460? It's a wider road rim that is tubeless compatible, a great bang for the buck and DT Swiss has a good track record for quality control. It comes in 24, 28, and 32 hole options. Note: this rim has an internal width of 18mm, so if you are now using narrower rims, measure your fork and stay clearance to make sure they will fit. See below:

DT Swiss R 460 700c Tubeless-Ready Road Rim in Tree Fort Bikes Rims

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
The DT Swiss R460 is a decent rim, but the bead seat shelf angles to the center of the rim that that if the tire is deflated it will unseat from the rim and fall into the center channel. The Easton R90SL has a small bead hump that keeps the tire seated even after the air is let out of the rim.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
The DT Swiss R460 is a decent rim, but the bead seat shelf angles to the center of the rim that that if the tire is deflated it will unseat from the rim and fall into the center channel. The Easton R90SL has a small bead hump that keeps the tire seated even after the air is let out of the rim.
Are you talking about that small well in the center? Aren't most tubeless compatible rims designed this way?

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
No, not the center channel. The bead seat. The part of the inside of the rim that the tire sits on when it's inflated. The bead-seat is what makes tubeless rims unique. The channel in the center is a smaller diameter so that you can get the tire on the rim. Previous to tubeless rims the entire inside of the rim was a U-shape and the tire bead didn't sit on anything.

Although the bead seats of the R 460 look like they are horizontal, in reality they slope down and in my experience they do not keep the tire seated when the air is let out of the tire, when the air is let out the tire beads fall back into the center channel of the rim.

Attachments

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
No, not the center channel. The bead seat. The part of the inside of the rim that the tire sits on when it's inflated. The bead-seat is what makes tubeless rims unique. The channel in the center is a smaller diameter so that you can get the tire on the rim. Previous to tubeless rims the entire inside of the rim was a U-shape and the tire bead didn't sit on anything.

Although the bead seats of the R 460 look like they are horizontal, in reality they slope down and in my experience they do not keep the tire seated when the air is let out of the tire, when the air is let out the tire beads fall back into the center channel of the rim.

Ahhh, OK, understood. But is this really an issue? Or an issue just for tubeless setup? Are there any catastrophic implications for this design? I'm thinking when your tire is going flat, you will notice and stop.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
The only issue with this for road tires is tubeless setup. When setting up a tire tubeless you want to first inflate the tire so that it seats into the rim bead which is not always easy without a compressor. Once it's seated, let the air out, remove the valve core and add sealant through the valve core. Then reinstall the valve core and inflate. If you put the sealant in before you get the tire seated it's very common to have sealant blowing out of the tire while trying to inflate the tire. If the tire is seated first and stays seated when the air is out (just like and automobile tire) then sealant can be added without risking a mess.

The R460 is still a good rim, but I have found this one issue, that while somewhat minor makes it less desirable for ideal tubeless use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts