Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two road bikes that I ride regularly. One is an '06 Fuji Newest 3.0 that I bought and started riding in '07. It is equipped with Alex R500 wheels that now have slightly over 25,000 miles. The front wheel is good, but the rear wheel has had single spokes replaced on 8 occasions and is, in my opinion, ready to be put out to pasture. The other bike is a '12 Cannondale Synapse Carbon equipped with Mavic Aksium wheels. The front Aksium was from an earlier Synapse and has around 24,000 miles with no problems. The rear Aksium is a replacement for the original and has around 11,000 miles.

I need at least a rear wheel for the Fuji (Option #1), a set of wheels for the Fuji (Option #2), or a slightly better set of wheels for the Synapse and move the Aksiums to the Fuji (Option #3). I'm leaning toward Option #3.

For Option #3, I've looked at ROL Volant RT, Boyd Rouleur, BWW Blackset Race 26 and Pure Race, and Velocity Major Tom. I would prefer 24/28 non-proprietary spokes, brass nipples, cartridge bearings, radial lacing front a and 2X/2X rear.

I'm 67 years of age, 160 to 167 lbs depending on time of year, retired, do not race, and have ridden from 4K to 7K miles per year in the last few years. There's a small amount of climbing in our area, but it's not really significant.

Does Option #3 make sense in your opinion?

Based on what I've been able to see, I'm leaning toward the Boyd wheels. What's your opinion/experience with the Boyd wheels?

I would appreciate advice, opinions, experience as this is a big deal for me.

Thanks

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
For Option #3, Boyd Rouleur, BWW Blackset Race 26
Based on what I've been able to see, I'm leaning toward the Boyd wheels. What's your opinion/experience with the Boyd wheels?
I have no experience with the Boyd Rouleur but lots of experience with the BWW Blackset Race 26 - the BWW wheels are built with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and the Boyds with Sapim Race. Those CX-Rays cost about 3x more than the Race (approx $3 per spoke versus $1) so there is a big difference in those wheelsets - that are both priced at $500. The BWW will probably ship for free too.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The Velocity Major Tom are tubular rims and don't belong with the rest of your choices.
My preferred arrangement of a wheel set intended for what you do is a rim height in the mid 20s, minimum 17mm rim inner width and 14/15 ga double butted spokes. Neither of your choices checks all boxes.
The BWW Blackset Race 26 with Race spokes rather than Cx-ray would be my choice. No tangible reason to burden the cost of this wheelset with the price premium the Cx-ray bear.
The Boyd Rouleur is a nice set but at 16mm inner rim width I find it too narrow for my liking.
The Volant RT at 30mm high and double butted round spokes of same count as the others will make the stiffest but also the heaviest set from the bunch. 30mm aero-like rims are not my prefered choice on alloy rims for lighter weight riders.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If you can up your budget about $150, look at the November Ti alloy wheels. The White Industries hubs they use are some of the best you can buy. They use Sapim spokes and Pacenti rims to build the set. Plenty of spoke combinations too. 20/28 would work for you and they offer 24/28 at the same price.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
For Option #3, I've looked at ROL Volant RT, Boyd Rouleur, BWW Blackset Race 26 and Pure Race, and Velocity Major Tom. I would prefer 24/28 non-proprietary spokes, brass nipples, cartridge bearings, radial lacing front a and 2X/2X rear.

Does Option #3 make sense in your opinion?
If 5 different options make sense is a rather difficult question to address. But as mentioned on of these things is not like the other (tubular).

Your criteria doesn't make a lot of sense to me. There is nothing wrong with brass nips, cartridge bearings and radial front lacing (except for with some hubs) but there is equally nothing wrong with the alternative. So I probably wouldn't reduce the choices based on that criteria.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

After a lot of reading, questioning, researching, hand wringing, second-guessing, gnashing of teeth etc. I bought the Boyd Rouleurs. I've been worrying over this particular purchase and trying to decide what to get for about a year.

I've got 155 miles on them so far, and I like them.

They are round and true. There is no pulsation with braking. No wheel hop, no side-to-side movement. Rim joints are welded. Also, they look nice.

I was able to mount tubes and tires without resorting to Herculean efforts or foul language.

I believe they are a tad wider than the Aksiums that were on the bike, so I had to tweak brakes a little.

Per plan, I moved the Aksiums to the Fuji. No problems there.

Both bikes and rider are happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts