Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike came with a Bontrager Race seat and I find it uncomfortable on my perineum. I want to change saddles but how do you know what saddle will work for me? I dont want to buy another one and then it hurts and I cant return it etc... (bontrager offers a 90 day return policy on used seats). Do any other manufacturers do the same? How do you determine what you think will work well for yourself? thanks in advance

· Registered
3,863 Posts
I have a box in my garage with about 12 saddles, I settled on a Fizik Arione after years and years. No knowing what will work for you..welcome to the club....you might see if your LBS has any saddles you can test ride...

· Registered
1,536 Posts
In my eternal quest to find a 200 gram saddle that feels like a 75lb Lazy Boy, I have found that buying saddle off of ebay is a good way to go. I buy them used, try them for a few months, then if they aren't the holy grail of comfort, I can re-sell them for usually close to what I paid for them. A previous poster mentioned the Terry Fly, this saddle seems to be very popular with those who have searched high a low for a comfortable saddle. My current fav is a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow. It is a little bit larger saddle than the regular Flite, and is meant for larger riders, who, as you might imagine, are more prone to saddle problems than light weight cyclists. Some local shops also offer a try before you buy program, or have 30 day return policies. Also, keep in mind that a good quality pair of shorts is very important to saddle comfort. I find that a good firm, but not to thick pad works best. Good luck in your search!

· Registered
2,620 Posts
B15serv said:
.......... I went through 8 before finding my terry fly which works very very very well for me.
I've got a dozen friends who are happy with the Terry Fly Ti saddle as am I.

My only complaint is they start to sag way too soon, so I usually replace mine at least once a year on my main bike. That's about 4,500 miles.

· Registered
2,287 Posts
Brands to look at are:
Selle Italia
Selle San Marco
Selle SMP
Fizik
Specialized
Terry
Brooks

I have noticed a few models that seem to pop up frequently as the final choice after a long search:

Fizik - Aliante (my personal choice)
Terry - Fly
Specialized - Toupe
Brooks - B-17

· Registered
10,161 Posts
saddle angle...

RyanM said:
thanks for the info. i will start looking around for something
Excessive pressure can be due to a seatpost with inadequate angle adjustment. If you don't have a seatpost with a 2-bolt clamp that permits very fine angle adjustments, the real problem may be your seatpost.

· Registered
549 Posts
Has anyone tried riding some of their old seats that were once so intollerable? I ride a Fizik Arione now but I bet I would have hated it back then.
I honestly believe that it's your taint that gets used to the seats and how to sit on them more than it is finding that perfect seat from the start - within reason of course.
JMO

· Registered
1,070 Posts
get the demo saddles from competitive, it will save you time and money. some LBS have saddles to demo too. i went thru a bunch until i settled on a brooks swift, expensive but i wont be buying a new saddle for a long time. definitely demo a bunch and dont buy anything because someone here said it was comfy, let your arse make the decision.

· Registered
88 Posts
I went thru 8 saddles (most of the ones mentioned here) until I finally settled on the Brooks Swallow for my C'Dale. I wish I tried that demo program from Competitive Cyclist. But I do not think they include Brooks in that demo program. I also have the Brooks B-17 on my commuter C'Dale. Good luck in your quest.

· Registered
190 Posts
dmar836 said:
Has anyone tried riding some of their old seats that were once so intollerable? I ride a Fizik Arione now but I bet I would have hated it back then.
I honestly believe that it's your taint that gets used to the seats and how to sit on them more than it is finding that perfect seat from the start - within reason of course.
JMO
It didn't work for me. I hated the Selle Italia XR that was fitted to my new road bike so much that I replaced it with a Specialized Avatar from my MTB which I wasn't using much. After a few months, I swapped them back and the Selle Italia XR was still hell. replaced it with a Selle SMP, which after a few rides, suits me (and in particular, my perineum) really well.

· Registered
578 Posts
^^^^ specialized concept stores have the mesauring seatpads..... i used that a s a base and found the selle san marco era.... i probably did alot of internet planning before i went with a saddle... and im glad i did... and ive tried quite a few ...

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
Groove1797 said:
go to an LBS that has a sit pad (measures width). look for saddles with close width. it's a good place to begin but demo as many saddles as possible
thedips said:
^^^^ specialized concept stores have the mesauring seatpads..... i used that a s a base and found the selle san marco era.... i probably did alot of internet planning before i went with a saddle... and im glad i did... and ive tried quite a few ...
This is great advice. The Specialized saddle fit system and method is based on U.S. Patent 7,284,336, and uses an impression pad with memory foam to determine the spacing of your sit bones.

Their fit system narrows your search to saddles that are likely to fit comfortably and avoids a lot of trial and error.

Here are some illustrations from the patent that show some of the preliminary steps in the process.

· Registered
245 Posts
Saddle position, riding technique and your fitness are key.
I used a Aliante that became an asshatchet after 40 miles...several months later I set up my seat position according to many of the standard rules, did some core work and now I'm riding that same seat 65 miles without any issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.