Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I'm planning to visit my son this summer at college and need a safe bicycle friendly route from Cincinnati to Columbus. Actually not all the way as I'm farmiliar with the Little Miami Bike Trail from Cincinnati up to Xenia or Springfield. I just need help from the bike trail going north into Columbus and ending up in the Short North area south of OSU. So can any Buckeyes out there provide a route for me once I leave the bike trail?

Thanks,

Sam in Cincy

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Adventure Cycling

sam.g said:
Help, I'm planning to visit my son this summer at college and need a safe bicycle friendly route from Cincinnati to Columbus. Actually not all the way as I'm farmiliar with the Little Miami Bike Trail from Cincinnati up to Xenia or Springfield. I just need help from the bike trail going north into Columbus and ending up in the Short North area south of OSU. So can any Buckeyes out there provide a route for me once I leave the bike trail?
The Adventure Cycling (www.adventurecycling.org) Underground Railroad route connects Cincinnati and Columbus, though it might not go exactly where you want at each end (passes on the NW side of Columbus). You can buy single map segments, and you need Map Section 4 (starts in Milford, OH). If you want the spur into Cincinnati, you need Section 3 as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry, thanks for your advice however Adventure Cycling was the first place that I checked when researching the route. The Underground Railray route follows the Little Miami Bike trail but bypasses Columbus altogether, it passes through London Ohio but doesn't go through Columbus and that's my main concern. So I hoping to hear from someone who actually lives in Columbus.

Thanks, but still hoping for some local Columbus advice.

Sam in Cincy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is the best local site for trails in and around Columbus. Route 40 isn't too bad from Vandalia all the way into Columbus (also goes through Springfield). High speeds most of the way, but not a lot of traffic since I-70 parallels it the whole way.

http://www.jnybny.com/OverviewFm.htm

Good Luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
The following would probably work well

- Little Miami up to Xenia
- In Xenia pick up Prarie Grass Trail to London, Ohio
- In London follow the Signs to Robers Pass Segment of Prairie Grass Trail.
- This will dump you onto Wilson Road just south of West Jefferson, Ohio
- Hang a left (north) onto Wilson follow it up to West Jeff - Kouisville Road
- Take a left (north) onto West Jeff -Kouisville and follow up to West Jeff (note take a right at the traffic light just past he library and follow past park this turns into Walnut Street)

(Now here you a couple of choices)
1. Pick up Route 40 East all the way into downtown Cols and a left onto High Street up to Short North - Very urban lot's of traffic - it's doable you also ride through some sketchy neighborhoods
2. Head east on 40 to Route 142 head North on to Price Hilliards Road (right turn) - Traffic can be a bit heavy on 40/142 till you get to I-70 and not much shoulder. If you are travelling during low traffic it's not bad.
3. You can avoid the bad part of 40/142 by heading North on Walnut Street which turns into Middle Pike - Follow Middle Pike to Morgan Road (first Right after you cross I70). This will take you over to 142 and you can follow 142 north to Price-Hilliards (I ride this a lot very low traffic)

- Picking up at Price Hilliards head East on Price-Hilliards which turns into Scioto Darby. Take this all the way into Hilliard. As you get close to Hilliard traffic is going to pick.up but other that 7:30a-9:00a and 5pm-6pm it's quite rideable. Just after the Hilliard Middle School bear to the left (left side of Donato's Pizza) - This will be Hilliard Cemetary Road.

-There is going to be heavy traffic on Hilliard Cemetary but stick with it and follow it across I270 past Mill Run shopping center where it turns into Fishinger Road.

-Stay on Fishinger until it runs into Kenny Rd. Go Right onto Kenny down to Lane Road. (Note Bike Trail through OSU along the Olentangy is currently closed for construction I believe) You should be seeing OSU now <G>. Take a left on Lane pass the Schott and Horseshoe (east) to High Street. South on High to short North.

Shog

Lot's of other alternatives as well - So PM me if this is confusing or you want other alternatives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.