Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I finally took the plunge and ordered some crank brother Samrty pedals. I want a better system for commuting and charity rides and my brother loves his Smarty and Candy pedals.

Now I just need a shoe to go with them. Last time I tried a spd pedal system I got hot spots, but I was using cheap plastic soled Shimano road shoes.

I do not want to break the bank and I would prefer to try them on before I buy, so a brand that is carried in bike stores.

I also have long skinny feet. if that information helps any with your recommendation.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
get the shoes that fit. if you get hot spots get some shims or better foot beds. i like sidi, pearl izumi, and the specialized s-works. you can spend big bucks on sidi and they will last years and years, also the sidi can have most parts replaced easily. i like the fit of the pearl izumi but mine have worn out really quick.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have gone through two pairs of shoes in the past five years of commuting with candy pedals. The first pair was Pearl Izumi and the second is the really worn Specialized that I currently use. Both were MTB shoes and on each pair I had to use a dremel and sanding wheel to remove part of the lugs to allow me to clip in and have some float. Get the shoes that fit, but be prepared to remove some sole.

FWIW, all my shoes are Specialized including my winter Defroster high tops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Sidi dominator shoes (mtb shoes). I wear size 12 normal shoes, and have a narrower foot. I got to try on some Sidis at my LBS before ordering from the LBS (they didn't have the narrow ones in stock at the time but did have some road shoes in the narrow, fit the same). Had mine for 3 years now and they're still in great shape. Mostly mountain biking on them, but starting this year commuting too.

Oh, and no dremel required for crank bros pedals (candy sl on both bikes).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I am now set.

I spent the weekend going to several bikes shops in Arizona (I live in Tucson and visited family in the Phoenix area) and found that Sidi Dominators and Specialized s-works fit the best.

I bought the S-works.

So far I love them. Right now is a great time to buy Specialized as the shop I bought them at was clearing out 08 stuff to make room for the 09 stuff they have to order real soon. These shoes are the top of Specialized line and are normally $280, the shop I got them at was selling them for $195

S-works

They worked great with the Crank Bro. Smarties on my road bike on Sunday. We did a 40 miler. Very comfy and very stiff. No complaints.

They also worked very well on my 12 mile commute to work this morning. It was nice to be able to walk on the tile floor without slipping and sliding around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.