Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Czardonic:

Thank you for the explaination. Also, you are right this adminstration is definitley for large government (which is one of the many reasons I am not happy with the current administration)

That being said don't you find it strange that the Democratic party always touts that it is for the "working class", yet always raises the working classes taxes. Last time I checked most senators and high ranking politicians are very weathy. You really believe that Senator Kerry, the Clintons or hell the President understands the working class????

I have liberal friends who vote Democrat and they always throw out "the Democratic party is for the working class and the Republicans are for the rich". Well if that is the case then what pary has the most to gain and loose if you become sucessful and wealthy? Both are as crooked as a snake, I just get tired of all the socal programs for people who do not want to work, (us the tax payers paying the bill) the taking of our class rooms and dumbing them down because we don't want to be unsensative to the dopes in the class. Kids spend more time learning about feelings then they do about reading, writing and arithmetic.

PS thanks for no name calling and for an intelligent explaination. :cool:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I don't think that one needs to be working class to understand or sympathize with the concerns of the working class. (It is a convenient dig at rich politicians, but does anyone really believe that a wealthy person is technically incapable of having or understanding working class values?) If you become rich, I assume that you can take care of yourself and spare a few for those who aren't so lucky, and many gladly do so.

Democrats raise taxes, but to pay for programs that the working class favor. That doesn't seem unfair or disingenuous to me. I hear many Republicans charge Democrats with "income redistribution" for taxing wealth for programs that "only" benefit the poor. But that assumes that these programs only benefit the direct recipients. Providing for a basic standard of living and basic services such as health care for others benefits me too in the form of lower crime (ostensibly, due to a lower economic incentive to commit crime), better public health in general and lower health costs due to more preventative medicine. Someone who is too poor to prevent or treat their drug resistant TB infection is my problem too, and yours.

Personally, I think that education standards should be much tougher in our public schools. But I don't think that needs to come at the expense of teaching kids how to get along with each other.

Are both parties crooked? Probably. But that is more the politics than the policies.

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Here you go, Dave

Republican'ts..........Rebubbleheads.......Replicants (non-human people as seen in the movie Blade Runner)....... Repubicheads....... Repimpleheads.............. and a special one saved for Condelezza and her female komrads --- Republic*nts.

I'd like to hear anybody elses's ideas. Let's get nasty, too![/QUOTE]

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Can you show us where and how they have worked? It seems to me that with all the programs instituted for these noble purposes, we still need more of them. Why? If the existing programs were working, is there a need for more?

Here in NYC a group of teachers wrote an open letter to the chancellor of schools begging him to do away with social promotion - a liberal program that was supposed to help minorities and underprivileged. The link is an article on the subject. Yes it's the NY Post, but the story is real.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/19728.htm

There are other social programs that are supposed to help, but in the end all they do is create a needy segment of society that becomes increasingly dependant upon handouts rather than self-sufficiency. I am not sure what the answer is, but the reason conservatives get so upset with these programs is we feel good money is being thrown in after bad. Why not fix what isn't working with what is already on hand rather than look for more? Why not get rid of what isn't working?

Democrats play on peoples fears and rely on their dependancies to get elected. You can say that Republicans rely upon the so called rich to get elected, but they are really catering to the people that pay the bills for all these programs. I think we have a right to see what the money is being spent on and criticize it when it isn't working and is in some cases making the problem worse.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Deadocrat Tax- Even though you paid taxes now we want to tax you when you die.

Demolocrat- The Party line that demolishes America

Demoralcrat- Party of low moral standards

Dewoolocrat- Terminology for "pulling the wool over the public's eyes"

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Some problems can be solved outright. Others can only be managed. That's life.

You are welcome to criticize and suggest changes or alternatives to programs that don't work. You just better have a more constructive solution than pulling the plug and kicking people to the curb, because they are not just going to wander off and die.

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
That isn't an answer. Why don't those who ask for the funds determine what isn't working? As a business person, when I go to a bank or funding source, it is incumbent upon me to show what I will spend the money on, what type of return is expected and present an exit strategy in case I need to cut my losses.

Democratic candidates really don't care what the answers to these questions are. They just want to tell their constituents that they brought home the bacon from the sweat of someone else's brow. Republican candidates want to tell their constituents that they are saving them their bacon.

I don't want to kick people to the curb. I just want them to be more accountable for their actions and help them become more self-sufficient. More programs don't do that. They just muddy up the waters.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Maybe you don't like it, but it is an answer. You can't judge all services like you would an investment. Some will <i>never</i> give you returns, if for no other reason than they deal with a shifting pool of beneficiaries over multi-generational time scales. Your criticism is simply unrealistic. I frankly doubt that you have any concept of how these programs work or what kinds of people benefit from them.

Others (me, for example) have to pay for <i>your</i> pet political priorities, and I assure you that they vastly overshadow the paltry money we waste on the needy. So just relax and rest assured that you are getting much more of a free ride than the local welfare queens.

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Saying it doesn't make it so. You never back up your proclamations with data. What "pet political priorities" of mine, cost you?

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
I expected as much. If you read the Constitution, that is spelled out as the primary responsibility of the federal government. So spending money on defense is warranted and mandated by it. I am still willing to bet that social programs in this country far exceed any spending on defense. Why don't you look that up for us?

·
Banned
14,685 Posts

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Acenturian said:
You really believe that Senator Kerry, the Clintons or hell the President understands the working class????
Well, At least ol' Billy-boy grew up dirt poor.

·
Registered
329 Posts
First of all from what I read I wouldn't call it "dirt poor". Ok, I'll give you that he grow up from a working family. But do you believe that any politician truely represents middle class american's? If so, please tell me how they do?

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Acenturian said:
Deadocrat Tax- Even though you paid taxes now we want to tax you when you die.

Demolocrat- The Party line that demolishes America

Demoralcrat- Party of low moral standards

Dewoolocrat- Terminology for "pulling the wool over the public's eyes"

Ok, you want to be lame about it, then take this.....

Respendalots - The Party that spends money they don't have

Redeficiticans - The Party that gets us deep into debt

Rehavenofuns - The Party that's too uptight for our own good

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Oh, I forgot....

One more to add.....

Re-let-em-ins ..... Let the illegals flow in and take our jobs and use our services

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well allow me tor retort :D

Respendalots - The Party that spends money they don't have ....Most conservatives ie Republicans believe in conserving money not spending it on wasted spending. Now I know that most liberals don't like defense spending so in your eyes that is "wasted spending" I'm sure. However, I'd rather have them spend $900 on a hammer or $2000 for an ashtray on a fighter jet then I would to let some wastoid collect welfare.

Redeficiticans - The Party that gets us deep into debt---Nice try the Democrats have pretty much controlled Congress from 1955--1996 last time I checked Congress is who is charge of spending....so by the time the Republicans took over in 1996 we were already in debt.

Rehavenofuns - The Party that's too uptight for our own good------so define having fun?? If you mean that they are not a bunch of Hippies who grew up to be Yuppies then yes you are correct......

On a friendly note.....good job on your post that was pretty funny :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Since Rush Limburger started the tradition of always using an insulting moniker for democrats and liberals, I'd like to propose a few nasty names for right-wingers. Here goes:

Republic-hens: For those who always reapeat the same lame comments, day after day, like a bunch of nattering hens.

Repugnicans: For those whose political ideas are so far from the mainstream as to be repugnant to most sensible people.

Con-swerve-atives: Those conservatives who one minute support shrinking of federal power, and the next minute demand all kinds of federal intervention, even to adding useless ammendments.

I'd like to hear anybody elses's ideas. Let's get nasty, too!
Dave,

Your very existence is an insult to all conservatives and liberals alike. Your post is emblematic of what is wrong with today's Democrat Party. No ideas, no values, no plans, no morals, no ethics. Nothing but ignorance, arrogance, and hatred.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts