Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have raced in 5 or 6 crits and have always placed in the top 8 in the junior 15-18 field. I will be racing in the Ontario crit (for those who know what it is) on Sunday and I was looking for some advice in regards to sprinting. I can tell that my spriting is where I need work. Are there any tips you can provide for placing well? I feel like I can get a top 5 if not higher but I need some tactical help. What position to be in, when to make the move, follow someone or not etc. There is one rider who is a very consistent top 3 finisher. Should I try to get on his wheel and stay with him during the sprint or would it be too hard to follow a wheel in a sprint? Just any tips for a successful finish in this race would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a map of the course:
https://pacificsunsetvelo.com/pages/documents/ontario7cornercoursemap_001.pdf

and here is my map from google earth with measurements

The wind on the finishing stretch should be at our right and maybe a slight tailwind.

Thanks again.

· Registered
655 Posts
Yes my friend, follow that wheel! Drop back a tad form him at around 50 yards or so (depending on your stamina) and jump so that when you pass him there will be a delay before he can match your speed.

Work on your sprints every week. In the saddle and standing. Work on a quick jump and keep increasing your speed until your over the line. Learn how far you can do this as this will help with your timing. Practice with some friends.

Learn to throw your bike forward

· Registered
277 Posts
Having won a fair amount of sprints in my racing days, I'd say that the best thing you can do is to practice sprinting w/ other people - in groups of 6-10 guys - try to ride for a couple of hours with 5-10 full recovery sprints in the ride - obviously low traffic roads are best. You will learn a lot about strategy in little time this way.

Trying to plan something out to a "T" will likely not work. There are about a jillion different scenereos that can happen in a field sprint - You want to get to the point where what you do is automatic - which is why practicing with riders who are stronger & faster than you will help you out better than any 'planning' you come up with.

In regards to the race you have coming up next weekend - it totally depends - if there are strong guys there you may want to grab their wheels and try to come around them w/ 100 meters to go. If everyone's looking around at each other w/ 1 lap to go, you may be able to jump early, get a gap and win it that way. How far after the last corner is the finish? Know what position you have to be in around that last corner and make that happen.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Tom Boonen needs some sprinting tips too.

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto923319.shtml :eek:

soccerismylife said:
I have raced in 5 or 6 crits and have always placed in the top 8 in the junior 15-18 field. I will be racing in the Ontario crit (for those who know what it is) on Sunday and I was looking for some advice in regards to sprinting. I can tell that my spriting is where I need work. Are there any tips you can provide for placing well? I feel like I can get a top 5 if not higher but I need some tactical help. What position to be in, when to make the move, follow someone or not etc. There is one rider who is a very consistent top 3 finisher. Should I try to get on his wheel and stay with him during the sprint or would it be too hard to follow a wheel in a sprint? Just any tips for a successful finish in this race would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a map of the course:
https://pacificsunsetvelo.com/pages/documents/ontario7cornercoursemap_001.pdf

and here is my map from google earth with measurements

The wind on the finishing stretch should be at our right and maybe a slight tailwind.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.