Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been riding a cyclocross/commuter Fuji with some group rides. My bike came with mini-v brakes (926) (flat bar levers, linear pull), and these have been fine, but I'm thinking of slowly moving my components over to a carbon fiber frame. Eventually upgrading other components, I would end up with 2 bikes.

But in the meantime, I'd like to have something rideable-- the difficulty lies in that most carbon frames aren't equipped with bosses for v-brakes, and I understand that using v-brake levers with your usual road calipers is generally a no-no.

The only solution I see is to get some of those flat bar caliper brake levers-- or am I wrong, is there another way?

I understand that Tektro makes a lever set supposedly compatible with both v-brakes and calipers, (289a), is that right?

Advice, suggestions, etc?

Oh, and btw, I'm new here, seems like a nice forum.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bike has a flat bar and v-brakes, and most of the carbon frames I've looked at don't have those v-brake bosses, so if I swapped frames, I would need to get a new brake set, too, but I probably won't have the money to finish the change over to drop bars and integrated shifter/brake levers (and probably a 10 speed setup) until next spring-- so until then, I need to make sure I have flat bar levers that work with caliper style brakes. You're thinking of me putting the v-brakes with drop bars-- where what I want is to put flat bars with calipers.

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Better path

elkym said:
My bike has a flat bar and v-brakes, and most of the carbon frames I've looked at don't have those v-brake bosses, so if I swapped frames, I would need to get a new brake set, too, but I probably won't have the money to finish the change over to drop bars and integrated shifter/brake levers (and probably a 10 speed setup) until next spring-- so until then, I need to make sure I have flat bar levers that work with caliper style brakes. You're thinking of me putting the v-brakes with drop bars-- where what I want is to put flat bars with calipers.
You are heading down a path that will be fraught with challenges, back tracking, blind alleys, and unecessary expense. It's easy to understand your desire to get onto a new frame as soon as possible, but you would be WAY ahead to just save your $$ until you can buy the bike you want. You will get better prices and an integrated package that actually works properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts