Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Wilier Gran Turismo, and since the frame extends quite a bit beyond the joint, I don't have enough room on the seat post to mount it into my stand. Of course, I know I only have to loosen the clamp and raise the seatpost, but as I intend to do this often, I am concerned that the constant loosening and tightening cannot help but have an impact on the carbon. I cannot help but think of the coat hanger that bent enough, eventually breaks. I understand it's not the same thing, but given my concern, hopefully some other GT owners or someone else could advise me. I have considered just taking a die-grinder and trimming the jaws from their current 3.75" to 2.75", which is what seatpost I have to work with. Thanks for any help. Ajax

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I understand it's not the same thing
You're right. It's not the same thing, at all. Metal fatigue is a phenomenon related to the crystal structure of metals, and doesn't really happen with carbon-fiber reinforced plastic composite structures. The worry is that you will damage the carbon by overtorqueing one time, and that's statistically more likely the more times you tighten it, if you're not careful. But if you are careful, the repeated loosening and tightening does no harm. You can reduce the risk by undertorquing when you extend the post, since you don't need it fully tight on the workstand. I assume you have a torque wrench. I think people who work on carbon bikes pretty much need to have one.

How often do you expect to do this, anyway?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Actually, when extending the seat post, I would certainly only snug the bolts lightly. And yes, I do have a torque wrench. Like I said, I was simply concerned with the effects of frequent loosening and re-tightening. One of the things I really enjoy almost as much as riding, is tinkering/cleaning, so I would use the stand maybe once a week. Clean Freak, I suppose.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I share the enjoyment of tinkering; the cleaning, not so much ;-)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check out the Thule 982 adapter

There are bike rack adapters that hook on to your seatpost and stem. These were designed for non standard frames like townies and BMX bikes. I clamp this on my workstand and hang the bike for servicing my carbon bikes. It works well for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.