Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Trek 1400 on Craigslist. Asking price is $440. Bike is white, so i can't pin down the year, but probably late 1990's. Upgraded drivetrain to Shinamo 105. What should I offer. Link attached.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/1894588304.html

Need help fast. Going to look at the bike tomorrow. Taking my bike stand and tools. Present owner says there may be a RD problem.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
It's an aluminum frame, doesn't have the value of a steel frame. The components seem ok, I'd think between $200 and $300 if in good shape.
Look out for a bent derailleur hanger, other than that, it might just need adjusting. Sounds funny saying there might be a problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seller said that someone came out and test rode the bike, passed on it because of a shifting problem in the higher gears. I'm thinking adjustment. If it has a bent hanger, that is something fixable. I'll take my bike stand and tools with me, try to adjust the
RD, and if unsuccessful, lowball the seller. Don't want to screw him, but don't want to screw me.

I have an old Cannondale that I love. Looking for another bike to work/learn on. I'm thinking $300 max for the Trek.

Thanks for the response. This forum is great, as are the people participating.

·
Registered
303 Posts
+1 on 300 max...asking $440 is looking for a sucker. seat looks original and while I'm not sure what was original on this bike, 105 as an "upgrade" is reaching. I wouldn't take your bike stand though and try and fix the RD....if it worked, then the guy would probably still want full price, if he didn't cut you a deal, then he got the bike fixed for free.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked at the bike, road it around for about 1/2 hour. Looks to be in pristine shape. Hanging in a garage for the last 10 years. Not a mark on the frame.

Offered $200 and he said yes.

Has this uncomfortable Deore shifting system. Thumb tabs on the top bars. my bike shop guy said if I could find a 7 gear STI shifting system to go that route.

Anyway, it's in the garage awaiting upgrades. I'll post a pic when I get it finished.

Two bikes and counting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts