Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· TRB
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I need some assist with a new saddle. Here are my specs, I'm 6' 2" tall 295lbs, I'm riding a 61cm Cervelo RS. It's currently have a Specialized Milano however it seems a bit bulky for me, I got it for the extra padding but I'm not an on my seat all the time rider, I stand quite a bit.

I had back surgery in Jan 2010, Discectomy at L5-S1 I have been fitting to the back and we have custom ordered a stem so I'm more upright, however I'm getting some numbness in my left side just above my hip going towards my back area I guess it's in the "love handle" area.

Any larger riders or riders with back issues have any suggestions on a new saddle that can help with my numbness and overall soreness. My price range is $150-$200, if I can go $100-$150 and get something good I'll do that. But max price is $200.

Thanks from the noob,
Tim

· Registered
21,865 Posts
Saddle choices

Tim Red Beard said:
Ok so I need some assist with a new saddle. Here are my specs, I'm 6' 2" tall 295lbs, I'm riding a 61cm Cervelo RS. It's currently have a Specialized Milano however it seems a bit bulky for me, I got it for the extra padding but I'm not an on my seat all the time rider, I stand quite a bit.

I had back surgery in Jan 2010, Discectomy at L5-S1 I have been fitting to the back and we have custom ordered a stem so I'm more upright, however I'm getting some numbness in my left side just above my hip going towards my back area I guess it's in the "love handle" area.

Any larger riders or riders with back issues have any suggestions on a new saddle that can help with my numbness and overall soreness. My price range is $150-$200, if I can go $100-$150 and get something good I'll do that. But max price is $200.
It's really not possible to recommend a saddle to someone, as how your butt is shaped and how it interacts with the saddle is highly individual. As a general rule, the less you ride the more padding you want, so if you are riding much, padding is a bad idea. Also, someone of your size will find that standing is a very inefficient way to ride a bike.

There are 7 factors in preventing saddle numbness and pain:

1) saddle adjustment - tilt angle is very important

2) sitting properly - a lot of people ride too far forward on the saddle. Your "sit bones" should be perched on the rear, wide part of the saddle

3) standing up - you should never let things go numb or get painful. At the first sign of any lack of feeling or pain, pedal standing up for a short distance and repeat as necessary to bring the feeling back and prevent further numbness

4) easing up - you want to lift your butt off the saddle any time you are going to hit a bump or sharp edge. It's easier on your anatomy, your wheels, your tires, and the rest of your bike.

5) bike fit: in addition to saddle height and tilt, there is fore/aft adjustment, reach and drop to the bars, cleat position.

6) tires: proper width with the right PSI for your weight and roads so you don't feel every single road imperfection.

7) saddle - there are some people who can ride most any saddle if it is properly adjusted (see #1) and there are some people who have problems with nearly any saddle. It's hard to predict which type you are. Work on 1-6 and if that doesn't help, THEN consider a new saddle.

The standard advice to cure numbness is to tip the nose down, but having discussed this topic many times, it seems that some people are not sitting properly on their saddles. You need to have a saddle and saddle position that has your sit bones on the butt of the saddle. If your saddle nose is tipped down too far, it may cause you to slide forward. If it is tipped up too far, it may be causing pressure. And if you can't get things right in between these points, it may be that you are not sitting in the right spot or that the saddle doesn't fit you. IME, the range of saddle tilt goes from "nose level" to saddle level. Nose level means that for most saddles, the butt of the saddle is elevated (this is how I ride). Saddle level means that a level placed on the saddle would have the nose and butt level, which may create a hammock effect in the middle. Your personal comfort has to rule on where to place things in this range. Also, fore/aft position can influence comfort - it is a trade between pedaling style and the how much you lean on the bars vs. sit on the saddle.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Tim Red Beard said:

Thanks from the noob,
Tim
From your description of the location of the pain/ numbness, I'm not sure this is a saddle issue. The link below discusses lower back pain (especially the section entitled Individual anatomy)
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

If it is lower back pain it could be a fit issue such as incorrect bar height, so the stem your LBS has ordered may minimize/ alleviate the pain/ numbness, but the link above covers some other possible remedies in more detail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.