Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just sold my dearly beloved Trek 5900 today and I need to replace it with something comparable. I'm looking for a frame as I want to go Campy. What should I be considering that I can get reasonably quickly? I'm on the fence with going custom as I'm worried about time to get the bike and I know almost nothing about it...

Some options that I am considering:
Pinarello Prince Carbon (the dream bike, yet $$$$)
Cervelo R3 (probably best buy)
Cervelo R3-SL
Cervelo Soloist Carbon SL ($$$$)

I've pretty much ruled out the Colnago C50. I'm leaning towards the R3 as it is the lowest price by far. The 4k price range + is a bit of a stretch.

· Registered
673 Posts
at least between the R3 and R3-SL, I don't think saving that much weight in the frame for that much extra money is worth it. Saving rotating weight is more efficient and with better wheels you could probably save more weight anyway.

And seriously, can you pass up that white frame. It looks so much better

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
teffisk said:
at least between the R3 and R3-SL, I don't think saving that much weight in the frame for that much extra money is worth it. Saving rotating weight is more efficient and with better wheels you could probably save more weight anyway.

And seriously, can you pass up that white frame. It looks so much better
I kinda like the look of the R3-SL better (the black frame)! White just begs to be cleaned...

You're probably right. The R3 seems like the best deal. I've pretty much eliminated the Pinarello. I'm looking into Wilier right now as well. I've also looked a bit at the Specialized frames and I honestly cannot get excited by them.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
hammer_cycle said:
.........I honestly cannot get excited by them.
Short answer is to get something that you can get excited about.

"The best" is a never ending debate. Personally I can get excited about Specialized frames, but that's just me.

I never wanted something that every kid on the block has so "unique" always worked.

A custom Crumpton carbon or a Moots would be sweet. Always thought about a Colnago or some other Italian frame but never could see spending the $$, especially since I'm anal about bike weight and they never seemed to be particularly light.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took a look at all of the frames today on my list (at the same dealer). No test rides as they were only frames.

I ruled out the Cervelo Soloist Carbon SL and the Wilier Cento. I do a lot of long (90+ mile) rides on the weekends and the Soloist is just going to beat me up. As for the Cento, the dealer didn't seem to be pushing it compared to the other bikes. Not sure I like the square steerer-tube.

I think the R3 is probably the best bike for the money... except it just looks plain. The R3-SL looks like nothing. A glossy black bike. I'm not sure I can get excited about riding it. Then I looked at the C50 and the Extreme-C. I'm starting to really itch for one of the two. Apparently they're good at everything and are comfortable on long rides. Am I crazy?

I also checked out Moots, Crumpton, Seven, and Storck online. I liked the Storck the best, except it is a LOT of money and no local dealers.

Can I go wrong with the Extreme-C? I'm a 175lb rider that wants to do a bit of everything. I'm coming from a Trek 5900 and it really beat me up on the roads where I live. Even though I'm not a total weight wheenie, I do not want to go UP in weight over a 6 year old bike (16lbs even).

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
well you could (for that $$)

get a nice custom frame built to fit you like a glove andhave it painted EXACTLY like you want

if you really want 90 mile comfort call Carl Strong or some other builder

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After spending a week or so looking at frames (R3, R3-SL, Pinarello Prince, Ridley, Willier, and Colnago), I opted to go with a Colnago C50 with a sloping top tube. I'm pretty excited as I've always wanted a Colnago and I think it will fit my needs nicely. I hope I did not make a collossal mistake!

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rot Wiess Essen said:
OK, I got to ask this, isn't the Colnago C50 pretty damn expensive? How much more was it than the R3? I know the Colnago mystique, it is kinda of like owning a Ferarri, but it is a two wheel Ferarri. I am sure you will love it, happy pedaling.
Yes, the Colnago is expensive. Cervelos are also not that inexpensive. The R3-SL is pretty much up there in the same price range. The SLC-Carbon SL is more expensive than the C50. The Cervelo frames just looked too plain for me. For some reason, for spending so much on components and the frame, I wanted something I'd really want to ride day in and day out. The other thing that swayed me in the direction of the Colnago is the ride quality. I live in an area with pretty bad roads and my previous bike (Trek 5900) really beat me up. The Colnago has the edge on ride quality, which is especially important as a lot of my weekend rides will be in the 90+ mile range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.