Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently splintered my radius (at the wrist) and now have a lovely Ti plate with 10 screws holding it all together. (Matches the Ti screw holding my scaphoid together in the other wrist. Crazy MTB'er, I know.) I'm itching to get back on the bike, but I know it's going to be a rough time on the wrist for a while. (I race Expert DH, but I do about 700 miles or so a year on the road bike for interval training, climbing etc.)

So, with all that said, I'm riding a fully stock '04 Allez Comp Double (full Ultegra) which treats me well. I'm thinking of switching out my current bars and going with something that has a flatter surface area to give me more overall hand support, like the FSA K-Wing, and also has a comfortable grip when on the hoods. I'm thinking that and a good gel tape job with the most padded gloves I can find.

What do you guys think and what suggestions do you have for replacement bars?

Thanks!
-Rich

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
You might try double taping. It's make the bars kinda spongy, but maybe that's what you need right now. The other thing that crossed my mind was raising the bars, if possible. Can you add spacers? If you have a quill stem, just pull it up some. There are a couple of companies that sell adjustable stems. I don't know how much they are, but...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just installed the K-Wings on my bike and I love them. They are super comfortable on the tops and the flat spot at the 90 degree bend is comfy as well. Try and find them on ebay as they are super pricey. I got mine for just under 200Cd shipped to my door.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I have a bad right hand because of an injury years ago, not as bad as yours though. I use Campy Ergo's and position the levers so they are level and rest my hands on them like mini aero bars. You might have to change the length/rise of your stem. This is more a cold weather problem for me. Gloves make a difference and I use gel tape. Also a slight rotation of your bars once you get everything dialed in can make a big difference. You might also try tilting your saddle back a tad, it will take weight off your hands onto your rear. Not too much, just a click. Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Went down to the local shop yesterday and had a look around. The K-Wings are nice, but as pointed in other threads, the corner bend going to the hoods are a little thin and a bit sharp. Really nice flat palm area though.

I also looked at the Ritchey Carbon Evolution's. Wow...super nice. I'd say pretty equal to the K-Wings on the flat spots, but the bends have a little more material and an overall smoother transition.I think that's my direction, but holy crap, I'm having a hard time getting over the sticker shock.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
No need to get carbon bars....aluminum will work fine. If you like the spiffy look consider Ritchey WCS wetblack bars. I have a WCS 4 Axis wetblack stem on my old bike and it looks great. I've also gone from carbon stems and seatposts and can't tell a difference. You can use gel tape and double tape the tops of your bars. I use 46 bars and have to cut some off, you get more than you need.

Scroll around the internet and compare the drop and reach of the various bars and compare to what you are using now. I like the look of the K-Wings but good grief, I could almost buy a set of wheel for the price of those things...and if you go down with carbon bars you will have to worry about damage, you can't tell from looking at them. The damage I'm told is on the inside..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.