Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to road cycling. I am looking to purchase my first road bike and have narrowed it down to 2. I am looking at a 2010 Specialized Allez Sport and a 2009 Specialized Sequoia. Both are new. I know that the sequoia is built a little more for comfort and long rides where as the allez is more for speed. At this point in time I am not totally sure what I will be doing more. The sequoia appears to be a little more upgraded then the allez & $100.00 cheaper. It has zerts (I guess that is how you spell it), a carbon seat post, and a second set of brake levers. My questions are:
1. How much faster will the allez be over the sequoia?
2. If riding with a group and I going to be able to keep up with the sequoia?
3. If I get the sequoia and become more experienced in road riding am I going to want an allez 1yr down the road. I need the bike to last a little while so getting a new one in a year or two is not an option.
4. Both have the same components on them. Is one frame and geometry just better then the other?

Thanks for your time,
Joe

· Administrator
13,168 Posts
ponyboy1995 said:
I am new to road cycling. I am looking to purchase my first road bike and have narrowed it down to 2. I am looking at a 2010 Specialized Allez Sport and a 2009 Specialized Sequoia. Both are new. I know that the sequoia is built a little more for comfort and long rides where as the allez is more for speed. At this point in time I am not totally sure what I will be doing more. The sequoia appears to be a little more upgraded then the allez & $100.00 cheaper. It has zerts (I guess that is how you spell it), a carbon seat post, and a second set of brake levers. My questions are:
3. If I get the sequoia and become more experienced in road riding am I going to want an allez 1yr down the road. I need the bike to last a little while so getting a new one in a year or two is not an option.
4. Both have the same components on them. Is one frame and geometry just better then the other?

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Get the Allez, based on your questions its better suited to you.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
ponyboy1995 said:

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Considering the bolded statement, it's difficult to answer which bike would be 'better' for you. It would be to your advantage to pin down your priorities a little, but I will say that the Allez is marketed in the competitive category while the Seqouia is geared to the more recreational/ casual rider. If it were me planning a group ride, I'd go with the Allez, and I do think it's a bike to grow with.

As far as which bike will be faster, it depends on who's doing the pedaling. :)

Finally, regarding your #4, both frames are top quality offering one of the best warranties in the business. One geo isn't inherently 'better' that the other, but one may be better suited to a riders intended purposes than the other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.