Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I will introduce myself. My name is Jason I live in South Florida. My wife and I are wanting to start riding. We have been looking at bikes online and have found the GMC bike line, she likes the Denali. I have read mixed things on this bike, its only 169.99. I know thats dirt cheap for road bikes. My first question is will this bike last at all? Is it worth it to buy this bike as a test bike to make sure we like it, or spend the extra money and buy something better? I would hate to spend 200 and then a month from now it breaks and have to spend 600. I also found a LBS that deals with Fuji bikes. He can do a Fuji newest bike for both of us for around 500 each bike. This comes with a free sizing for the bike and a setup for both bikes as well as free tune ups after 7 days, 30 days and 90 days. Let me know guys thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would avoid the walmart type bikes, unless that is all the your budget allows for. If it something that you think you will regularly use for fitness and exercise, then think of $500 as a couple months gym membership.

The Fuji sounds like a good place to start. One options is to look around for a Trek fx 7.2 or 7.3. These are hybrid-fitness level bikes. They are similar to road bikes, but have a flat handle bars. They are about the same price as the Fuji. Or maybe Fuji makes a bike like this and is available in that shop.

·
It's not easy being green
314 Posts
Welcome!

Ah, another South Floridian, cool! I would suggest you go to every bike shop you can and look at everything. Ride all levels of bikes, even ones that are a little more money to get a feel for what you want. The Fuji sounds like a good start, especially if you are unsure of the future. I bought a good $600 aluminum started bike, 6 months later upgraded to a carbon Specialized. If you think it's something you will like, go the extra $ and get the one you like. Have you looked into riding clubs or areas? I can tell you that Key Biscayne is very cycling friendly. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
its only 169.99. I know thats dirt cheap for road bikes.

That is not dirt cheap, it is a give away.

My first question is will this bike last at all?
No, really bad quality parts. No value whatsoever.

Is it worth it to buy this bike as a test bike to make sure we like it, or spend the extra money and buy something better?
It's worth it if you want to get no concept about what cycling is, and park it in your
backyard after about 25 miles on it. You will be really tired and fed up with bike riding.

I would hate to spend 200 and then a month from now it breaks and have to spend 600.
That is pretty much what will happen, you will have to admit that you bought the
wrong bike and it will be a sad day.

I also found a LBS that deals with Fuji bikes. He can do a Fuji newest bike for both of us for around 500 each bike. This comes with a free sizing for the bike and a setup for both bikes as well as free tune ups after 7 days, 30 days and 90 days. Let me know guys thanks.

Fuji is a whole different story. If you don't like your Fuji, it will still retain value for the resell. But you will love it and it will enable you to join a local bike club and be a cyclist!!!
You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to everyone for the comments. I have decided to go with Fuji Newest 3.0. I am glad i went to another LBS i found on the web, the guy was very knowledgeable and willing to help me out. I also found out the size of a bike i thought i needed was wrong. Again thanks guys. To the guy from south florida where exactly do you ride?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im farther north, I am still undecided about my wifes bike. Shes not sure she will like this and only wants to buy the cheap wal mart version. The problem is for the 180 price tag with shipping and tax it comes to about 240 and in a tune up and sizing for 50 and ive spent 300 bucks for 150 more i can get her the fuji bike and if she doesnt like it we have a much better bike to try and sell

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My advice is: Do not buy that GMC Denali.

I bought that exact bike for my son. While it gets him to school and back, it has many major drawbacks.

1) It's heavy as hell.
2) Parts are crap. In under 500 miles things have already broken.

We are currently looking for a new bike for him so he can turn the Denali into just his commuter, and have a decent bike to ride on weekends and with us.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
If you can wait I would say ride your bike and learn what you like and don't like before jumping at something for your wife. Once you learn what you would really like, check out the used market. You usually can get a nice bike for 1/3rd the new retail price.

That will make a huge difference in the quality of bike that you can get in your price range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts