Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, what do you guys think of these?

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.53/it.A/id.7438/.f

Another person also suggested an Ibex..............a little more money, and personally, i think the frames look kinda cheesy, but still not a bad deal. I found this in roughly the equivalent price range......

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/APR-6600-Details.html

The only alternative I have after that is a used Cannondale R2000si with full Ultegra. One person mentioned them being extremely stiff frames, and definitely not one I'd want to do a century with. I'm thinking a carbon seatpost might fix some of that.

One final question...............Is it really THAT big of a deal to get Ultegra over 105 ? Do you save that much weight, and get that much better shifting qualities?
When I used to race, all we used was campy, so I have little real world experience with the road components of Shimano.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Death Trap said:
OK, obviously Motobecane and BikesDirect is a sore subject with several little snatches on here, so I found another possibly good deal.

I have to admit I'm a little skeptical too about the whole warranty thing, and no phone number for BD. Although, I didn't know anything about that until the huge frickin ordeal I had to go through first.

Another person also suggested an Ibex..............a little more money, and personally, i think the frames look kinda cheesy, but still not a bad deal. I found this in roughly the equivalent price range......

The only alternative I have after that is a used Cannondale R2000si with full Ultegra. One person mentioned them being extremely stiff frames, and definitely not one I'd want to do a century with. I'm thinking a carbon seatpost might fix some of that.

One final question...............Is it really THAT big of a deal to get Ultegra over 105 ? Do you save that much weight, and get that much better shifting qualities?
When I used to race, all we used was campy, so I have little real world experience with the road components of Shimano.

Any of the three would be great bikes assuming they fit decently. The Cdale would be fine for centuries. Don't believe the hype.

I don't think you would notice any difference between 105 and Ultegra.

·
Banned
476 Posts
my opinion

there is a big difference between 105 and ultegra

anyone should notice the difference right away and over time it becomes much more - as ultegra will way out last 105

now - new ultegra and dura-ace are close -- i would say ultegra is so good it is hard to notice the improvement in dura ace

but 105 is different recrecational and not to be compared to ultegra

·
Banned
141 Posts
What the....

collectorvelo said:

anyone should notice the difference right away and over time it becomes much more - as ultegra will way out last 105

now - new ultegra and dura-ace are close -- i would say ultegra is so good it is hard to notice the improvement in dura ace

I have no clue what you are talking about

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
Death Trap said:
OK, obviously Motobecane and BikesDirect is a sore subject with several little snatches on here, so I found another possibly good deal.

I have to admit I'm a little skeptical too about the whole warranty thing, and no phone number for BD. Although, I didn't know anything about that until the huge frickin ordeal I had to go through first.

Get the R2000 and put 25's on it,that will help much more then a carbon seatpost which is more for looks then help.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way,

I'm also looking at a Colnago Technos with full Ultegra. It's a 98, so it's a tad old school...........steel fork, and will need a better seat.
However, I may be able to get it for right at about a grand, shipped.

I've always wanted a Colnago, but the only glitch on this one is that it's a 51cm. I'm not sure if I can get away with something that small, or not.

Plus, the Cannondale seems to be the best bang for the buck, overall, right now.

I guess it's performance and value (C-dale) versus, prestige (Colnago)

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess i'm too desperate to get a Colnago is why. As I mentioned once before, my size falls all around a 52-54, depending on the manufacturer. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with a 51.........and if all else fails, I'm sure I could get my money back out of it on Ebay.

I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. I love the paint scheme on this particular one......

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Disagree

collectorvelo said:

There may be SLIGHT difference between Ultegra/105, but certainly not a lot, I race, and I use 105 gruppos on both of my bikes. If I was going to upgrade, I would not even consider Ultegra, I would go straight to DA.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
physasst said:
There may be SLIGHT difference between Ultegra/105, but certainly not a lot, I race, and I use 105 gruppos on both of my bikes. If I was going to upgrade, I would not even consider Ultegra, I would go straight to DA.

That sounds alot like what my LBS said.

They said the big jump was from Ultegra to DA, not 105 to Ultegra.

In the end, I'm kicking myself everyday for selling my nice Campy equipped DeRosa. The frame would be considered somewhat outdated, or old school by today's standards, but dang it was a sweet little bike.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
There's not that much "prestige" in an 8 year old Tecnos, and it is overpriced if it would cost you a grand. You've gotten enough lectures about the importance of fit, so I don't know what to tell you.

I wouldn't fear the stiffness of the Cannondale... I did many centuries on an early 90s C-dale with no ill effects and they've come a LONG way in improving comfort sense then.

The main difference between the 105 and the Ultegra will be weight. Properly tuned, both will shift wonderfully and last for more seasons than you're going to keep the bike. Although there is added value in an Ultegra bike, don't reject 105... its good stuff.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess the jury is in.........

I'm waiting to hear back from the person with the C-dale on Monday.

I guess he/she needed to calculate shipping costs.

I offered around $700, and will hopefully get it for that.

I just hope it's everything they said it is, if I do buy it.

I've received lectures many times from my friends about buying used bikes online..............so far, I've yet to have a deal go bad.

I'm still riding my Ibis Alibi from 1999, that I would NEVER sell, at this point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.