Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently riding with some Sidi Genius 3 Mega wide size 48's... I have never ridden in anything else and have decided that I need to try something different because I have always had a problem with my toes going numb... I keep reading the a carbon some might eliminate this... Not sure if it will but am willing to try.. So I would like to try a different brand and hear good things about Northwave... Not sure what size to get? Street shoe is a 13 and I wear the 48 in the sidi's which I feel fit ok but not much room in the length left over... Any suggestions on a decent pair of Northwaves? I hear they have a wide toe box.. Also what about a company that would have a decent return policy if I end up buying and they don't fit? Any help or info on what to try, even if not Nothwave I am open to suggestions... Budget is $250 or less...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
I wast just trying on both shoes the other day. Their number sizing is identical atleast to me. Sidis were narrower which is why I was leaning towards those even though I originally wanted Northwaves. The owner of my LBS store says you can get Northwaves in a wide or narrow width. Do you have a LBS that stocks both? Shoes are one thing I don't want to buy without trying on. Otherwise the seller of Northwave on Amazon.com is BackCountry and they seem to have a decent return policy, but you will lose out on shipping costs, which is why paying a little more locally may make sense, to save you on time and shipping if it doesn't fit you right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
e34john said:
I wast just trying on both shoes the other day. Their number sizing is identical atleast to me. Sidis were narrower which is why I was leaning towards those even though I originally wanted Northwaves. The owner of my LBS store says you can get Northwaves in a wide or narrow width. Do you have a LBS that stocks both? Shoes are one thing I don't want to buy without trying on. Otherwise the seller of Northwave on Amazon.com is BackCountry and they seem to have a decent return policy, but you will lose out on shipping costs, which is why paying a little more locally may make sense, to save you on time and shipping if it doesn't fit you right.
Thanks for the reply.. I have been doing alot of reserching here on the forum and just noticed that most of the posts I read about the Northwave's being wide were about 3 years old.. Read a few more recent posts that are saying that Northwaves are no longer wide in the toe box... So I guess it's back to the drawing board for me... My biggest problem is my size.. With me wearing a size 13 street shoe no cycling shop carries anything that will even remotely fit my feet.... I will have to mail order and hopefully find a dealer with a good return policy...

So what other brands should I look for that would have a wide toe box?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Try Shimano

I have wide feet and used to ride Northwave Evolutions which had a wide toe box. Unfortunately, out of production. Same for the Aeroter which also had a wide toe box. Sidi Mega's which are pretty nice and worked well. I switched over to Shimano R215E, E as in E width. Used version I and II. Have since bought R220E's. Extremely well made shoes. Not cheap but not crazy expensive.

I've heard a lot of good things about Specialised as it relates to wide shoes but I've never had a dealer nearby to try them on for fit. I also have a pair of Bont semi-customs. Really different and really expensive. That being said, I just bought a pair of standard Bont A1's on EBay for $130. Find what fits first and then shop around.



lacofdfireman said:
Thanks for the reply.. I have been doing alot of reserching here on the forum and just noticed that most of the posts I read about the Northwave's being wide were about 3 years old.. Read a few more recent posts that are saying that Northwaves are no longer wide in the toe box... So I guess it's back to the drawing board for me... My biggest problem is my size.. With me wearing a size 13 street shoe no cycling shop carries anything that will even remotely fit my feet.... I will have to mail order and hopefully find a dealer with a good return policy...

So what other brands should I look for that would have a wide toe box?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
lacofdfireman said:
Currently riding with some Sidi Genius 3 Mega wide size 48's... I have never ridden in anything else and have decided that I need to try something different because I have always had a problem with my toes going numb... I keep reading the a carbon some might eliminate this... Not sure if it will but am willing to try.. So I would like to try a different brand and hear good things about Northwave... Not sure what size to get? Street shoe is a 13 and I wear the 48 in the sidi's which I feel fit ok but not much room in the length left over... Any suggestions on a decent pair of Northwaves? I hear they have a wide toe box.. Also what about a company that would have a decent return policy if I end up buying and they don't fit? Any help or info on what to try, even if not Nothwave I am open to suggestions... Budget is $250 or less...
The Sidi Megas never fit my wide feet very well. The heel was too wide for me. The Northwaves are a perfect fit for me and hold my heel very well. The problem is that Northwave has changed their last to a narrower width, starting maybe 4-5 years ago. If you and find models like Hornet,Evolutoin or Aerator, you will have a wide shoe. Keep an eye one bay to find them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Northwave vertigo

I'm a size 48, but don't really need wide shoes. I bought these Northwaves earlier this year and like them pretty well. My complaint is that they are little roomy width and circumference for me, so they might work well for you. Certainly wider than standard Sidi's. I have no problem with the length and the toe box is roomy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bikemoore said:
I'm a size 48, but don't really need wide shoes. I bought these Northwaves earlier this year and like them pretty well. My complaint is that they are little roomy width and circumference for me, so they might work well for you. Certainly wider than standard Sidi's. I have no problem with the length and the toe box is roomy.
Are you still using these shoes or did you try something else? If you still have them and want to get rid of them let me know.. I would be willing to buy them if the price is right to give them a try...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top