Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding much more this year than ever before, and my cheap Cateye wireless is starting to show it's limitations. It is a very entry level unit that tells me speed, time riding etc. I am looking to upgrade to a computer that displays more than that now. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for heart rate and possibly cadence? I am not looking to spend $500 on a setup...but would like to get a solid reliable and accurate unit. A riding buddy of mine has a setup that does a lot of functions, but doesn't do any of them well. I would like to avoid this type of money pit obviously! Any suggestions?

·
Banned
13 Posts
astale

I like the cateye astrale 8, it does cadence and a bunch more. It does not do HR though...From looking around myself adding HR to a bike computer seemed very expensive.

I use a basic Polar HR monitor and just wear the watch, I also have a little plastic thing that lets me mount the watch to the handlebars.

works for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Praetorian27 said:
Thanks for the info! I have been looking at the Blackburn Delphi 6.0. It does HR, cadence, even an altimeter and percent of grade. Does anyone have experience with this unit?
Better to get to separate instruments, a bike computer and a HRM.

for bike computer, I have an Echowell F2 bike computer. Wired, cadence and all. very reliable. CHEAP.

For HR, i use a Sigma Fit Watch. 3 HR zones and other functions. also very reliable. both for no more than 150$.

You can go wireless and Polar high end stuff. but the ones i mentioned will do the job just fine (i have to say the Astrale looks cooler than the Echowell F2 for just a bit more $)

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Praetorian27 said:
Thanks for the info! I have been looking at the Blackburn Delphi 6.0. It does HR, cadence, even an altimeter and percent of grade. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

I have the Blackburn Delphi 3.0, which is wired with wired cadence and I could'nt ask for a better computer. I went to that one because of unreliability issues I had with wireless cat-eye and VDO. I can never trust wireless again, and the VDO was the straw that broke the camel's back IMO. You can try the Blackburn 6.0, as it could be a very good unit for you, plus it has a lifetime guarantee. IMO the Blackburn Delphi is the best looking computer out there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a separate computer & HRM. I had an oregon scientific HRM, i returned it twice because it was crap and the transmitter was faulty twice. In the end i just got a polar FS3c which is all i wanted. It's basic and shows me my current HR and records my average, max and overall time, it also has limits which is good. The best part though is that it's super reliable. It's simple and combined with my computer i have all the info i need. Oh and my personal advice is that you get a wireless comp, wires are a pain and wireless is a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.