Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm flying out this Friday morning to head to Malaysia for the Formula 1 Sepang Grand Prix!! Free $700 tickets (Upper tier grandstand seats) courtesy of my cousin. Awesome.

Since it'd be really fast paced action and the event would start at 5pm where it's still bright (I hope it doesn't rain), I'd imagine upping the ISO value up to 400 would be a start and probably using the camera's noise reduction feature would also help.

Other than that, quick shutter speeds perhaps I suppose as well?

But, what I'm more keen on is what kinda white balance I should use, and what kinda of focusing? Spot, metering? It's the first time I'll be shooting such a fast action sequence event (with the new camera).

What else should I try out/look out for?

Of course, I'll keep taking pictures but I was hoping to get as much tips as possible to take full advantage of this opportunity to view the action first hand (unlike the Singapore GP last year where I was in the paddocks :D).

Well, thanks in advance.

//A little more detail: the good part about it is that I'm flying out on Friday and have a couple of days to chill out as well and my friend is heading over too this Sunday. The not-so-great part is rushing to get the first flight out on Monday morning so I can head for class straight after arrival back in Singapore.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lets_ride said:
Have fun and take lots of pics! :D
I'll find a fail pixxor to shoot and tag you again mmkay?

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Uzzie, I remember your last photo shoot at the F1 track around you somewhere. Awesome.

Any photos will be very welcome.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Antonio_B said:
Uzzie, I remember your last photo shoot at the F1 track around you somewhere. Awesome.

Any photos will be very welcome.
Ah yes, that one was me being Sneako and getting wonderful access. It was from the Singapore Grand Prix.

This time, I'm actually having a ticket and would be watching the race live from the grandstand as well.

Just hoping the weather would hold up since it'd be hard to get shots in if it rains I presume. Needless to say, I'll be trigger happy too this time with my I picked out back in America.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you an F1 fan in general? What do you think about the new rules for this season? I am watching it this year for the first time in several years. I am hoping that it will be more exciting than when Ferrari was so dominant race after race. I suppose I could start an F1 thread.

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
uzziefly said:
Well, I'm flying out this Friday morning to head to Malaysia for the Formula 1 Sepang Grand Prix!! Free $700 tickets (Upper tier grandstand seats) courtesy of my cousin. Awesome.

Since it'd be really fast paced action and the event would start at 5pm where it's still bright (I hope it doesn't rain), I'd imagine upping the ISO value up to 400 would be a start and probably using the camera's noise reduction feature would also help.

Other than that, quick shutter speeds perhaps I suppose as well?

But, what I'm more keen on is what kinda white balance I should use, and what kinda of focusing? Spot, metering? It's the first time I'll be shooting such a fast action sequence event (with the new camera).

What else should I try out/look out for?

Of course, I'll keep taking pictures but I was hoping to get as much tips as possible to take full advantage of this opportunity to view the action first hand (unlike the Singapore GP last year where I was in the paddocks :D).

Well, thanks in advance.

//A little more detail: the good part about it is that I'm flying out on Friday and have a couple of days to chill out as well and my friend is heading over too this Sunday. The not-so-great part is rushing to get the first flight out on Monday morning so I can head for class straight after arrival back in Singapore.
Below is a link to an article that has some good basic information. The article has some specific information related to shooting at Sebring, but it also has some good general photography pointers.

As to white balance, it's going to depend on the conditions, ie, use daylight or cloudy or shade as appropriate. Once the lights come on, you're going to have to experiment, bring a white card to set a custom white balance or set the camera to auto white balance.

I would select center point focus with the camera on the AI servo mode (canon term, not sure what camera you have or the equivalent setting, so check your manual. AI servo is constant focusing).

I'd experiment with shutter speeds and panning as per the article. Also remember for large aperture values, your depth of field will be small, so you may not have the entire car in focus, which is not necessarily a bad thing, again, you'll need to experiment.

If you have time before you leave, go out to a street near your home and practice shooting street cars. Of course the speed will be much lower, but you will presumably be closer, so the relative speed with respect to your location will probably be similar to what you will experience from the grandstands. Take a lot of shots of the street traffic experimenting with shutter speed and aperture to get an idea of the effects.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-fans-guide-to-photography-at-sebring-by-bob-chapman

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
uzziefly said:
free $700 tickets... and having to rush back! Life sux then U die. Buck up buddie you will survive. :p :D :thumbsup:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
matanza said:
free $700 tickets... and having to rush back! Life sux then U die. Buck up buddie you will survive. :p :D :thumbsup:
Yabbut I have to rush back and actually take a cab in all likelihood from the airport to school (one end to the other end of Singapore)!!!

Oh well, I guess that gives me time to sit by a Starbucks or Coffee Bean and have a drink first. Good thing I'll just have one carry on so I don't needa worry about baggage claim.

Now, photo tips people!!!! Come on!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
uzziefly said:
Now, photo tips people!!!! Come on!
Take your camera? push dah buttons? use the view finder? use ISO 1600? Charge your camera battery first or take extra batteries? HTH :idea: :thumbsup:

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
The new rules are pretty goofy. Tiny rear wing, front wing so wide and low the driver can't see it and just spends most of the race trying to knock it off. At least they got rid of the multitude of odd winglets.

Get some close ups of the fancy rear diffuser. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I assume you're using digital. I have found the best thing to do in iffy WB situations is to try different settings and look at the results. That's one of the cool things about digital, instant feedback. If you have the option, use continuous auto focus. Another trick to to use manual focus and prefocus on a spot and shoot when subject gets to that spot. Use continuous shooting mode if you have it. Take lots of memory, a plastic bag ( to keep camera dry if it does rain ) have fun, and most important, post pics here when you get back.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pgrice said:
Are you an F1 fan in general? What do you think about the new rules for this season? I am watching it this year for the first time in several years. I am hoping that it will be more exciting than when Ferrari was so dominant race after race. I suppose I could start an F1 thread.
Yup. Pretty big fan actually. I think the rules get crappy at times and the FIA is becoming closer to the UCI in terms of wtf moments etc.

But, the first race was definitely akin to watching the most interesting Paris-Nice this year in that it was more exciting and there were new teams showing their strengths and all.

We saw how good Lewis Hamilton was last weekend since he was in a much less than stellar car this year (for now at least).

I'm a Ferrari fan but I was happy to see the Brawn team bag the 1-2 and am hoping they'd do well this year to make the championship chase more exciting.

Additionally, I think the new aerodynamic rules SUCK coz just LOOK at the rear wings of the damn cars!!! Fugly!!!

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Quick. Send MB1 a plane ticket. Take him with you to get some artist quality shots

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
pgrice said:
You mean these changes? They look interesting.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jd3 said:
I assume you're using digital. I have found the best thing to do in iffy WB situations is to try different settings and look at the results. That's one of the cool things about digital, instant feedback. If you have the option, use continuous auto focus. Another trick to to use manual focus and prefocus on a spot and shoot when subject gets to that spot. Use continuous shooting mode if you have it. Take lots of memory, a plastic bag ( to keep camera dry if it does rain ) have fun, and most important, post pics here when you get back.
Thanks again. I'll keep those in mind.

I'll definitely take tons of pictures to play around with the settings and hopefully, I'll get a few nice ones. Reaaaalllllyyy hoping for it.

Ahhh the ziploc bag. Totally forgot about that.

Yup, digital. Non dSLR though.

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-28. Pretty good manual settings. But if I bump the ISO value to anything more than 400 (I can shoot in RAW but I don't have the software to view RAW files on my MacBook unfortunately so it's just gonna be JPEG and hence, my personal limit of ISO 400), it would be too noisy in JPEG.

SteveCnj said:
Thanks man!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
uzziefly said:
Ahhh the ziploc bag. Totally forgot about that.

!
I don't have much problem remembering that. I lost a camera to rain at the Tour of Georgia one year.

One more tip, one I have problems with. Every now & then, put the camera down and watch the show.

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
uzziefly said:
Thanks again. I'll keep those in mind.

(I can shoot in RAW but I don't have the software to view RAW files on my MacBook unfortunately so it's just gonna be JPEG and hence, my personal limit of ISO 400), it would be too noisy in JPEG.

Thanks man!
If you need to bump the ISO to maintain shutter speed, (you probably will), then just post process using the free Noiseware Community Edition download. It does a really good job cleaning and sharpening grainy images. Even the free version has a very good feature set. Get it here http://www.imagenomic.com/download.aspx

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
The Race

uzziefly said:
...What else should I try out/look out for?
Photos are nice but don't miss the race itself while you are screwing around with the camera and settings. Enjoy the event!The photos don't make the memories, they just help you recall them.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SteveCnj said:
If you need to bump the ISO to maintain shutter speed, (you probably will), then just post process using the free Noiseware Community Edition download. It does a really good job cleaning and sharpening grainy images. Even the free version has a very good feature set. Get it here http://www.imagenomic.com/download.aspx
But I don't have photoshop and all I got is iPhoto actually.

That won't work now would it? The download that is since it says it's compatible with Adobe photoshop.

I guess I'll just have to use the noise reduction feature of iPhoto, albeit it's not great.

Oh well.

Now I really wish I had a photo editing software like Aperture 2 or something instead of just iPhoto.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts