Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 7500 Hybrid bike that I want to use on my trainer. But I notice that the rear wheel had some play in it(I hadn't rode this bike in a long time). So after checking it out I found that a hub bearing was missing(It has loose ball bearings). I have found a site that sells loose bearings but I don't what type to get(carbon steel, chrome steel, stainless steel)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
I have a Trek 7500 Hybrid bike that I want to use on my trainer. But I notice that the rear wheel had some play in it(I hadn't rode this bike in a long time). So after checking it out I found that a hub bearing was missing(It has loose ball bearings). I have found a site that sells loose bearings but I don't what type to get(carbon steel, chrome steel, stainless steel)
It's a hybrid on a trainer...it doesn't matter. Pro tip: That hub won't be smooth unless you replace the both the balls AND the cones. Grade 25 balls will be better than you need but still cheap.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks I wanted to use this bike instead of my carbon frame road bike, I grease the bearings and adjusted the cone nut and it doesn't seem to have much or any play on the trainer. I just didn't know if it would cause damage to the hub with the one bearing missing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's typical with loose bearings to have a space that makes it look like one bearing is missing when that's not the case. As you found out, the bearings probably just needed adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts