Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm riding a dinosaur, so please bear with me. I'm just getting back into biking after a 25 year layoff and don't want to drop a ton on a new bike. I found and bought a late 80's Trek 1400 off Craigslist. The bike was a garage queen and honestly, looked virtually like it had just come out of the box. The bike is a seven speed. All components are Shimano 105 except the shifters, which I'm pretty sure were not stock. They are Deore shifters mounted on the top of the handlebars. They work decent enough, but I find the look of MTB shifters on a road bike a little strange.

I tried buying a used pair of STI RSX shifters off Craigslist, but they turned out to be worn out. I'm afraid just about any 7-speed STI shifters I find will be worn out.

Like I said, the bike, other than the shifters, is perfect. Great fit, sweet ride.

I thought about restoring the bike back to downtube shifters, which is probably the original setup. Does anyone have a different shifter suggestion?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The DT 7 spd shifters will be the least expensive move and that auction site will have a variety to choose. As you discovered, it may be risky to buy used shifters of this vintage. Which leaves you stuck in the upgrade path and that is $$ unfortunately.

A quick search indicate Shimano 105 is this the component gruppo on it?
It is a freehub and cassette right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Kuma601 said:
The DT 7 spd shifters will be the least expensive move and that auction site will have a variety to choose. As you discovered, it may be risky to buy used shifters of this vintage. Which leaves you stuck in the upgrade path and that is $$ unfortunately.

A quick search indicate Shimano 105 is this the component gruppo on it?
It is a freehub and cassette right?

All components read Shimano 105. As far as the freehub and cassett, yes, I think that is the setup. As you stated, the upgrade path is not one which I wish to follow with this bike. I paid around $200 for it and have replaced the tubes, tires, seat and added a waterbottle cage and pump, which is about all I want to spend at this point, other than a shifter setup that "fits" the bike better than the Deore LXs that are on there now.

CORRECTION: I went to an old 1400 brochure and it said "freewheel". That is different than freehub, correct?

·
Registered
108 Posts
lopresti said:
What type of shifters are the Sora? Also, can I get a new 7-speed Sora?
I have Shimano Sora Shifters. Some may consider them "lower-end" shifters not me. These are actually very tuff and durable. The main difference is they are a little heavier than the other shifters and they have a thumb shifter button.

I got a pair of 8x3 shifters off ebay for $70 and use them on my 7x2 setup untill i upgrade. Shifts fine for my daily commute to work. I doubt you will find new 7sp... 8sp i think they still have them new for around $150. Sora is fairly new so its easier to fine them in good condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts