Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm in some need of Sram Apex help. I recently purchased a Sram Apex 11/32 cassette and Sram Apex med. cage rear derailleur to My bike. I'm running a compact setup (50/34). When i'm in the 34 ring gear in the front and the 32 tooth Cog in the back my chain is at a angle that will not be ridable. Any input on this would greatly be appreciated. I have included a picture, not a very good one but the best i could do. Here's my setup

Cannondale system six frame

FSA Gossamer BB30 crankset

Sram Apex Med. cage rear deraileur

Sram Apex 11/32 cassette

Maddux DRX 4000 wheel with Formula RB-51/52, 32 hole hubs

This is a bike i pieced together.

·
fun2none
130 Posts
Could you clarify what you mean by "not rideable" ?

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I'll post again.

Looks normal to me. If everything is shifting and working properly, go ride it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
robdamanii said:
The chainline is straight at the 5th cog in the cassette, not the lowest cog.

So that is normal for the chain to be at that much of an angle then? I just never really noticed it before. Just worried about wearing out the sprockets and chain.

·
fun2none
130 Posts
From http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
In the case of derailer geared bicycles, the chainline is not perfect in most gears.
If the chain is not ghost shifting or rubbing against the front dérailleur inner plate, it should be ok. I recall watching video about Apex where the SRAM rep said not to worry about cross chaining.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thx. for the help guys appreciate it. I have the gears adjusted perfect on the stand and everything shifts great. Hope to get out and ride in the next couples days. I guess i should have realized i won't spend alot of time in those top gears unless it's a mega hill.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,450 Posts
wunlap togo said:
I'd install the non-drive crankarm before getting too involved with fine tuning the shifting...
that's the best advice i've seen yet...:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wunlap togo said:
I'd install the non-drive crankarm before getting too involved with fine tuning the shifting...

that picture was before i tuned it in. But thx. for that info:thumbsup: :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts