Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
hi, I'm Larry
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of piecing together a Super Fred bike to race Cat 4 / Masters on this year.

I've checked a couple of Goodwills already looking for an old Huffy Frame of the right size to start with. So far, I have not found the right frame but I am sure I will.

I was thinking of putting on my old Mirage 8 speed group on the frame and an old set of reflex wheels but now I'm not sure if the end result will look fred enough.

What wheels should I use? What other parts? The end goal is something I can race on but still looks like a Huffy.

I clearly need to find one of those plastic chain guards to put on the rear wheel. I also have a rear rack that I think deserves a place on the project. I do have an old 27" set of steel wheels with a 12-18 freewheel, but I would need to find some good 1" x 27" racing tires to go on it. (Tires make too big of a difference). Does anyone make a modern high end 27" racing tire?

I really don't want to go back to bottom tube mount friction shifters. So for now I'm looking at the Mirage shifters, but can Campy gear look Fred enough? Any ideas?

I also don't want to go back to rat traps and straps. I'm thinking about finding an old pair of laceups with wood soles and mounting look cleats on them. Any other ideas?

Any other cosmetic things to do on the bike, I'm sure I will need to get some genuine huffy reflectors. What else?

The bars, stem, cranks, BB and fork I will probably leave genuine Huffy that comes on the frame if the condition is okay.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
bimini said:
I've been toying with the idea of piecing together a Super Fred bike to race Cat 4 / Masters on this year.

I've checked a couple of Goodwills already looking for an old Huffy Frame of the right size to start with. So far, I have not found the right frame but I am sure I will.

I was thinking of putting on my old Mirage 8 speed group on the frame and an old set of reflex wheels but now I'm not sure if the end result will look fred enough.

What wheels should I use? What other parts? The end goal is something I can race on but still looks like a Huffy.

I clearly need to find one of those plastic chain guards to put on the rear wheel. I also have a rear rack that I think deserves a place on the project. I do have an old 27" set of steel wheels with a 12-18 freewheel, but I would need to find some good 1" x 27" racing tires to go on it. (Tires make too big of a difference). Does anyone make a modern high end 27" racing tire?

I really don't want to go back to bottom tube mount friction shifters. So for now I'm looking at the Mirage shifters, but can Campy gear look Fred enough? Any ideas?

I also don't want to go back to rat traps and straps. I'm thinking about finding an old pair of laceups with wood soles and mounting look cleats on them. Any other ideas?

Any other cosmetic things to do on the bike, I'm sure I will need to get some genuine huffy reflectors. What else?

The bars, stem, cranks, BB and fork I will probably leave genuine Huffy that comes on the frame if the condition is okay.
As couple of suggestions.

Stem mounted shifters
Whatever they called the second set of brake levers that ran across the tops
A huge metal spoke protector.
Thick black insulation instead of bar tape

Please post pictures. It sounds fun...
 

·
What'd I do?
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Tire suggestions

Sheldon Brown has some 27" racing tires.

If you run the suicide levers, you'll lose the top o' the hoods position for your hands.

Try using non QR wheels, too. Just hope you don't flat.

See what you can do about raising the stem.

--Kevin
 

·
The web is a MUT
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
A couple of things:

First you'll need the old leather straps around the hubs to keep them clean.

Then you'll need a mirror of some sort.

Then add one of them blinkie lights to hang/bolt to the bottom of the seat.

Do not, I repeat, do not forget about pedal reflectors.

Add reflective tape to other areas of the bike as you see fit.

Barend shifters might be a worthwhile alternative to stem or downtube mounts.

Paint your name someplace on the frame and on the rims "so nobody steals them".

Also paint a smiley on the bottom of your shoes.

And if allowed by the local race committee add full fenders and one of the huge old style Cateye computers and it absolutely must have a cadence function. Or better yet get one of the spoke clicker axle mount odometers for the front wheel.

You could get a springy seat with the good old style exposed coil springs.

Add tassles to the ends of the bars if you choose to do so.

And of course you will need a bell of some sort mounted to the handlebars, a cowbell hanging under the seat is optional.

The race committee probably won't allow you to hang a lisc. plate with your USCF number on it hanging from the seat, so you'll just have to have a cloth one sewn onto your baggy cycling shorts. And definitely use a button shirt or golf shirt while riding, 'gator logo optional, Nike not allowed. If using a button shirt it must be short sleeved and should have a pocket protector with a tire gauge in it. Oh, and a course map folded up into the pocket or on a bar mounted map pouch. You don't want to go gettin' lost on no four turn crit course and turn on 5th ave instead of 6th, now would you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Front chainguard's a must!

A local shop owner did something similar several years ago--he had a Masi 3V, I think it was, painted red, with Huffy decals and streamers on the handlebars. Used friction tape on the bars.
The job will be incomplete, though, unless you can find some way to use a full chainguard. Getting that sucker to clear the front derailleur is a challenge....
 

·
Le Rouleur
Joined
·
74 Posts
Shoes

Re : Shoes Carnac just released black vintage style lace-up shoes with soles drilled for cleats , the model is called Izoard , released in Europe around November might find info on Carnac web-site.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
A great-sounding project....

All the suggestions sound great.

Maybe a stock Schwinn Varsity would be the way to go.

Not the same statement as a pure Huffy, but there would be no mistaking the statement or the massive weight you'd be pushing... It would be fun to note how many riders don't know the venerable old beast...

A single-piece steel crank would be nice. Although steel rims would be absolutely necessary for effect, their lousy braking might warrant alloy rims for safety's sake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
how about a Madone and USPS team kit

You do realize your concept only works if you're strong enough to podium with the thing, right? Just make it safe enough so you don't hurt anybody who's just there to race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Carnac Iozard

bdx1366 said:
Re : Shoes Carnac just released black vintage style lace-up shoes with soles drilled for cleats , the model is called Izoard , released in Europe around November might find info on Carnac web-site.

Cheers
Could you find some more info? Carnac's website has nothing, neither does Sinclair Imports. This sounds just like what I need, my pedals (Shimano PD-6400) take a special Look-pattern cleat, but triple Velcro and chromed steel toe clips don't always play nice. Laces would rock.

--Shannon
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,099 Posts
Go retro cool instead.

desmo said:
You do realize your concept only works if you're strong enough to podium with the thing, right? Just make it safe enough so you don't hurt anybody who's just there to race.

I agree- I am all for a good joke- but if the bike is shaky in a group at high speed, brakes poorly ect, you could hurt yourself or others. Huffy's are too junky even for a good joke bike. And old school retro bike would be cool, and wouldn't endanger yourself or others. Its one thing to TT on a piece of crap, and quite another to do RR or Crits on one.

The other point is you better be a strong man (w/o sandbagging), cause the joke isn't all that funny if you finish in the last 1/4 of your class.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,099 Posts
Coolhand said:
I agree- I am all for a good joke- but if the bike is shaky in a group at high speed, brakes poorly ect, you could hurt yourself or others. Huffy's are too junky even for a good joke bike. And old school retro bike would be cool, and wouldn't endanger yourself or others. Its one thing to TT on a piece of crap, and quite another to do RR or Crits on one.

The other point is you better be a strong man (w/o sandbagging), cause the joke isn't all that funny if you finish in the last 1/4 of your class.
Something like this bad boy:

http://marketplace.consumerreview.c...sults_format=long&db_id=40057&query=retrieval

:)
 

·
hi, I'm Larry
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the ideas - There are some good ones

It's got to have the following:
Kickstand
Mirror on the Handlebar
Reflectors on the pedals, wheels, front and rear
Flashing light under the seat
Friction tape on the bars
That second set of brake levers across the top
Chain gaurd
Super Fred painted on the Top Tube
Streamers (or perhaps squirrel tails) on the handlebars (I hate those tree rats)
Wicker handlebar basket if it is legal
Rear luggage rack with plastic dairy crate strapped on if it is legal
Old black lace up shoes.
White polyester Oxford dress shirt with pocket protector
Mnt. Biker shorts or polyester dress pants with a pants leg clip
black dress socks
Camelback
Nerd Glasses
Old cloth covered helmet

Does anybody know if these accessories violates the USCF rules? I will have to check the rule book before I get too carried away.

I will back off on the steel wheels. I forgot how poorly they brake and I like riding in close. I would hate to hurt someone with my foolishness. I doubt if I could get the wheels to spin up quickly enough in the sprints anyway and they will have an adverse effect on performance. I will just have to take all the labels off the Old Relexes and give the wheels a good spray can paint job (maybe with steel colored paint). I'm also concerned about being stable and competative with even the stem mounted friction shifters. I'll have to find a set of bar end friction shifters. I rode a Trek with those for several years and like to ride down on the drops when sprinting.

I would only use the bike in some of the small races around here where they break it up in the A group and B group. I have podiumed in the B group a couple of times times last year and I am carrying 10-15 pounds less weight around the gut this year than I did last year. I doubt if the Loaded Huffy will be more than 10 pounds heavier than my racing bike. So in theory I should be able to hit the podium on a good day in a small race with only Cat 4 & 5s. I'll also have to ride it in Ragbrai this year (but I would fit right in on Ragbrai with such a bike).

Once I find the Frame, I will post pictures of the project.
 

·
hi, I'm Larry
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Way too nice of a bike

I'll show my age here. That's the bike I wanted when I was a kid but could not afford. The continental was Schwinn's top of the line bike. It went for $300-$400 back in the early 70's and that was a lot of money back then. I ended up buying a Nishiki with my paper route money for just a little over $100.



The bike in the ebay ad looks to be in Very good condition for it's age. It would make a great Retro bike and may even be race worthy as is. It's just too nice of a bike for the Super Fred. Just does not have that reverse snob appeal of the Huffy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
bimini said:
I've been toying with the idea of piecing together a Super Fred bike to race Cat 4 / Masters on this year.
I wouldn't use a Huffy, or any other department store bike, in a mass-start race. Just not safe, IMHO.

Now, a quality steel touring bike, with half-step + granny gearing, double-diamond wrapped cloth tape, finished with tiwne and shellaced, non-aero levers and top-of-the-downtube mounted Suntour shifters or original Suntor BarCons, and canti brakes with Mathauser pads.... That's a Fred Bike!!

Try to find a clean Specialized Expedition or Miyata touring bike (same bike), or a Centurion ProTour 15. About 24 - 25 lbs without racks and stuff, so you are giving away about 6-7 pounds to the typical recreational racer. Wear wool, use toe clips and slotted cleats.

Don't go retro on the helmet. Using a SkidLid could result in Dead Fred, and we wouldn't want that.

Everyone who finishes behind you on a bike under 20 lbs owes you a beer. Tell 'em I said so.

--Shannon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
As much as we like to malign the department store bikes, if you're mechanically inclined and you check the bike over they are fine for a road race or crit.

I saw someone win the beginner class at a X/C Mountain bike race on a huffy department store bike. This was not the Norba "crit on dirt" style race either, that bike withstood way more pounding than any road race.

Ben
 

·
hi, I'm Larry
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tend to agree

With all that extra steel they throw into the department store bikes I doubt if they are going to break. It's not like we are dealing with thin wall stuff here and special alloys and tempering. It's cheap thick wall low carbon steel pipe that any idiot can weld. I would be willing to bet a cheap Huffy frame will be around long after the ultra thin wall exotic alloy frames have reached their limited designed life span. They don't have poor quality, they are just cheaply made, with cheap materials and with little or no regard to weight.

My real concerns will be stability and handling. My guess is the geometry of the Huffy will be very stable but unresponsive. Probably set up so you can ride it hands free all day without touching the bar, but the traded off to that it will be slow to respond in the turns or in emergencys. I also hope the BB is far enough off the ground and the cranks are short enough that the pedals don't drag in the turns. If they aren't I will have to stay away from the crits.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top