Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an 05 Jake the Snake. Came with crankset, seatpost, stem, and avid shorty 4 brakes. I plan to use the bike for commuting, and trail riding (I have a full suspension MTB that I will use too). The commute and most of the road stuff I will do does not have steep hills.

Have never had a CX bike before (also never built a bike before). Need help selecting components for this bike. I am not looking for the most expensive components, I plan to keep upgrading over time. I know I want drop bars.

Should I try to mimick a stock JTS? Some of the parts can be had relatively inexpensively on a used basis.

Also, wheel set suggestions would be helpful too. I am considering trying to build my wheels (I am in no hurry), any suggestions on hubs, rims, spoke pattern etc. would be helpful.

Thanks

·
You call that running?
262 Posts
Do your homework if you're going to build your own wheels. The differnce between well made hand built wheels and half-assed hand built wheels is significant. As for what to use...

Wheels: 32h, 3x, open pro, double butted spokes, 105 or ultegra hubs

For the drivetrain if you can get good deals on used parts you can get a pretty darn good value.

Make sure the bar and saddle are a comfortable shape for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.