Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm commuting via bike path here in Denver. It seems we are 'blessed' with lots of thorns on the path. I am using Geax Arroyo tires with Mr. Tuffy liners, but the thorns keep laughing at me and winning.

Any suggestions for a tire that will help me win the battle?

I am looking in 26" since this is on my converted MTB/commuter.

Thanks!

Tim

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
I go Clear Creek path to the Platte, up the the WWTP. I have been using Specialized Armadillo's, with Mr. Tuffy liners. The tires are cycling's equivalent to run-flat tire. So far, no flats, knock on wood.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I found success with Slime in my tubes. No flats until 2 yrs later when the slime was totally used up. I did have to air it up periodically though. It plugged dozens of holes in my tubes.

I also used Mr. Tuffy, and/or an old innertube between the tire and tube. Both would not be overkill if one isn't working. Either that or a cheap slick tire with the bead cut off so it will fit inside your main tire. Anything that will install mass between your tire and your tube that is thick enough so the thorns ( I assume you mean our wonderful GoatHead thorns) don't go clear through to the tube.

EM

PS, I'm still waiting for the Titanium Mr. Tuffy liner to hit the market. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
The Armadillo is the best tire for commuting- hands down. The only draw back is they are so hard, they can be a bit slick in the rain, so maybe get the ones with a tread, if they will fit on your rig.........MTT

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
If a thorn has your name on it, there is not much you can do. Have you considered an inverted tread armadillo? A little thicker tread, rides like crap, but should be better at preventing flats. Don't forget to pull the thorns out when you get home.

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
Sledgehammer03 said:
I go Clear Creek path to the Platte, up the the WWTP. I have been using Specialized Armadillo's, with Mr. Tuffy liners. The tires are cycling's equivalent to run-flat tire. So far, no flats, knock on wood.
uhh-o!

you SO jinxed yourself it's not even funny.

you do realize you'll be flatting every ride for the next month or two for mocking the cycling gods thusly.

they don't take kindly to such impudence from two wheeled humans.

have a great ride, and hope you beat the odds.

-eric.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.