Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With kiddo #1 due in about 5 weeks, my wife has decided we need a camcorder to capture the first everything - diaper change, giggle, fart, etc...

I know absolutely nothing about electronics and was completely overwhelmed at Best Buy trying to figure out what I was looking at. I'm assuming I need a hd camcorder since I have hd tv's? Any tips, recommendations, etc....

Zach

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
A few things to think about before recommending something.

1: Do you want to record to tapes or a hard drive based camcorder? I prefer miniDV tapes, this way I always have an original backup in full quality.

2: Camcorder size. Do you need itsy bitsy so that it can fit in a shirt pocket? Then this rules out miniDV camcorders.

3: Budget?

4: Do you intend to edit the video you shoot on your computer?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
phil. said:
A few things to think about before recommending something.

1: Do you want to record to tapes or a hard drive based camcorder? I prefer miniDV tapes, this way I always have an original backup in full quality.

I don't know. I never realized this was an option (thanks Best Buy), but I suspect that is a better choice than onto a hard drive. The odds or backing stuff up etc... are slim to none from me. How expensive are the tapes and how much do they cost? Is there still an option to download to my computer?

2: Camcorder size. Do you need itsy bitsy so that it can fit in a shirt pocket? Then this rules out miniDV camcorders.

I don't need tiny - just not something grossly heavy to lug around everywhere as I think my wife will be making me do...

3: Budget?

Under a grand???More if needed, less is just as groovy and preferred...

4: Do you intend to edit the video you shoot on your computer?

That would be a definite NO

Thanks for the help so far........

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Since you don't plan on editing on a PC, I would recommend a miniDV camcorder. MiniDV camcorders can transfer the tapes to a computer if you ever want to edit the video, all you need is a firewire cable and an editing program. MiniDV tapes are pretty inexpensive, maybe $3 per tape or so for good quality tapes buying online. You also don't need "HD miniDV" tapes, that's just a marketing gimmick.

I have a Canon HV20, which is a 1-2 yr old model that's not currently sold, the new model is Canon HV30. Here it is at bhphotovideo for $599 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/539289-REG/Canon_2680B001_VIXIA_HV30_HDV_High.html. If you'd like to see quality of some of theh video I've shot, PM me and I can email you a link to a video I've made.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
dont buy one. i tried to talk The Wife outta getting one when we had The Kid, but she insisted. i wish we had that cash back...

here is why:
no matter what you end up getting, grandparents will want their own copy. and that usually means transferring to DVD. thjere are a few camcorders that record to min-dvd, but not all play directly on a dvd player. you will end up transferring it to the computer and doing minor editing, even if you dont plan on doing it now.

i recommended we just use the video function of our cameras, and that is what we primarily do. most things you record are in small bursts anyway, so you dont have to worry about space on the SD card. it is not cinema quality, but it will display fine on a standard TV.
another great thing about just using your camera is the ease of switching between camera and video mode.

i REALLY wish we didnt get the camcorder. she has used it more for teaching in the past five months than we have at home since we bought it four years ago.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would get a flip video cam. They are inexpensive and very simple. I have found that 99% of the time I want to use a camcorder I end up using my digital camera or cell phone to take low res digital video. It ends up being a rare occasion that I go back and watch the footage, so the low res stuff is just fine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Qstick333 said:
With kiddo #1 due in about 5 weeks, my wife has decided we need a camcorder to capture the first everything - diaper change, giggle, fart, etc...

I know absolutely nothing about electronics and was completely overwhelmed at Best Buy trying to figure out what I was looking at. I'm assuming I need a hd camcorder since I have hd tv's? Any tips, recommendations, etc....

Zach
My wife thought the same thing with the birth of our daughter last June. I got a Sony DCR-SR85. It is hard drive based with the option to use a memory stick. You can take pictures with it too. It's a great little camera, but we use it so rarely that I wish we hadn't purchased it.

My wife uses her digital camera to take videos because now that my daughter is crawling around and stuff, she freezes every single time she sees the video camera. You put my wife's point and shoot or my DSLR in front of her and she hams it up. Video camera, freeze and stare. Go with what Weltyed said, use your point and shoot camera and save the money.

Oh and of the videos we did take of my daughter when she was more receptive to the video camera, we haven't viewed them more than once. But I'm not a video person, I'm a picture person. I think you can get more use out of a picture than you can a video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts