Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always checked my chains with a nice metal ruler. Since moving, I can not find it, along with some other items. Anyway, where would I pick up another metal ruler? Looking for a foot long, precise. Not a metal yardstick from Lowe's.

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Places that sell woodworking tools (Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Highland Hardware, Hartville Tool, etc) will have them, but if a one-footer is all you need you should be able to find that most anywhere. Arts/crafts stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Office supply stores like Office Depot or Staples.

You could also buy a 12" combination square at Lowe's or Home Depot and remove the head.

· corning my own beef
5,721 Posts
you're kidding, right?

any and EVERY office supply store (Staples, etc..)
Target
Walmart
etc., etc...

· Registered
21,863 Posts
Classic over thinking

filly said:
I've always checked my chains with a nice metal ruler. Since moving, I can not find it, along with some other items. Anyway, where would I pick up another metal ruler? Looking for a foot long, precise. Not a metal yardstick from Lowe's.
Any standard tape measure has 1/16" markings. You can use your calibrated eyeball to see anything you need to see. It's not like shifting performance falls off a cliff at 1/16" + 0.001" Don't think so hard. You'll hurt yourself.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Rulers cannot be bought but must be submitted to...
Nonsense. Rulers are bought all the time. It just costs a lot.

An honest ruler is one that stays bought, and doesn't sell himself again when a higher bid comes in.

· Registered
284 Posts
Art and drafting supply stores also sell metal rulers.

I bet you could find them at crafts stores, too.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, i'm not kidding. i guess i just appreciated the nice one i had. it was one my pops had as a draftsman (before CAD), and it wasn't a flimsy stick with painted on markings like what you'd get from your regular office stores or michael's. i guess i would need to find a drafting supply store. i'd imagine these are pretty much gone by now, though.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
filly said:
no, i'm not kidding. i guess i just appreciated the nice one i had. it was one my pops had as a draftsman (before CAD), and it wasn't a flimsy stick with painted on markings like what you'd get from your regular office stores or michael's. i guess i would need to find a drafting supply store. i'd imagine these are pretty much gone by now, though.

I've seen drafting supplies, including steel rules, at... staples

· Registered
55 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.