Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know how one could tell the difference between a "bike shop" mongoose and a "department store" mongoose?...I was told there is a difference.

My daughter called me yesterday and she and her boyfriend are looking for a used bike for him (cheap, he is a student too)

I'd go shopping with them but I am in WI and they are in Ohio.

I'm pretty sure they could find a decent bike pretty cheap in a thrift or second hand shop. They found a "used bike shop" in Columbus. Any suggestions from people in that area?

· Darling of The Lounge
5,339 Posts
Here's your answer:

http://www.mongoose.com/mtn/faq.html

Q: What's the difference between the Mongoose bikes at department stores and the ones at bike shops? Should I pay more bike shop bike?

A: Bikes found at your local, independent bike shop are different than the bikes found at a department store. Frames and components on bike shop bikes are of higher quality and are assembled by trained professional mechanics. A bike shop can offer high quality service after the sale, as well. In addition, bike shop models are typically available in a range of frame sizes to accommodate a much wider variety of riders. Bikes found in department stores are generally fine for recreational use, and the frames and components reflect that.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
The difference

Touch0Gray said:
does any one know how one could tell the difference between a "bike shop" mongoose and a "department store" mongoose?...I was told there is a difference.
The difference is just like that between ANY department store bike and bike shop bike. On the department store bike, the frame us much heavier, the components are crap, the brakes hardly work, the saddle is a pain, lots of steel parts that rust, etc. etc. etc. From 10 feet away, they all look the same, but up close the differences are painfully obvious to anyone who knows bikes.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure I could tell the difference, but my daughter ....probably not. I'll see about shopping up here for one...we may be going down to visit the first weekend in August. I could probably find a reasonable bike for him at a thrift shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.