Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I did a search and did not find any relevant posts so I am putting this out to the Forum. I have an Ultegra 6500 9-Spd built bicycle and the Brifters are starting to get a little sluggish. I worked for many years at an LBS so I am pretty good on adjusting Brifters and setting up drivelines. I am a low mileage rider, approx 1,000 per year and do not see a need to spend the money to upgrade to 10-Spd. I have had my current bicycle, a Litespeed Classic for about 5 years.

I have read a couple of Forum posts (can't remember where) that talk about flushing the Brifters with a cleaner/lubricant like Boeshield T9, Superlube or something simliar. WD40 has even been suggested but I have a feeling that might be too caustic for this purpose.

Can anyone offer their advice/tips on how to flush and clean a set of Brifters? Thanks.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
WD40 is not caustic. Spray the crap out of the internals with WD40 while working the shifters. Then use some spray lube on the internals as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
frdfandc said:
WD40 is not caustic. Spray the crap out of the internals with WD40 while working the shifters. Then use some spray lube on the internals as well.
+1

This is exactly what I do on my 105 9 speed shifters. Makes an improvement in shifting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts