Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
have a 2009 Tricross Singlecross that i recently broke a brake lever during a crash. Broke the right one but i guess i'll replace both.

The brakes have sucked since day 1. I already have Koolstop Salmon pads on mine and can't throw myself over the bars. Do you guys think i should just replace both levers & F/R brakes?

Please recommend me the best bang/buck levers and brakes that are compatible w/ my bike. dont have caliper mounts.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
have a 2009 Tricross Singlecross that i recently broke a shifter for. Broke the right one but i guess i'll replace both.

The brakes have sucked since day 1. I already have Koolstop Salmon pads on mine and can't throw myself over the bars. Do you guys think i should just replace both levers & F/R brakes?

Please recommend me the best bang/buck levers and brakes that are compatible w/ my bike. dont have caliper mounts.
If you are not worried about mud clearance I'd go with V-brakes and Tektro RL520 v-brake compatible levers. Rode a bike with this setup and it was downright scary how good the braking was.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You broke a shifter on a Singlecross? Interesting.

Well, most cantis kind of suck. I don't know why you think you need the kind of braking power that will throw you over the bars, you may have to go to v-brakes for that.

Or, Avid cantis are inexpensive and work fine. The Cane Creek, or Tektro levers work fine as well. The whole set-up shouldn't run you much more than $70 or so.

Be sure you have the brakes set-up properly for best results. In cross, they really just need to slow you down, though you shouldn't have to white-knuckle to get there. I'd look at your overall set-up first (straddle cable length, etc.), then go from there.

As for pads, check out Swiss Stop green.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
SX Brakes Suck?

I've been riding and racing my 08 SX, since 08. After the the first race season, I removed the "hipster" cross brake levers. This helped tremendously, by decreasing the drag on the cables. At that time, I also made the cable housing as short as possible, replaced the cables, pads. My brakes work great! I race from the hoods and do all my braking from the hoods, although I know I can get more braking power from the drops. No special pads, just whatever I've found at the lbs. Maybe your rims are worn?

Moo

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Wrongness

1. Interrupter levers have nothing to do with "hipsters". A hipster doesn't use brakes (duh).
2. If interrupter levers are adding drag to the cables, they are installed wrong.
3. Cable housing should not be cut as short as possible.
4. Using the hoods on a sketchy descent is a bad idea.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't need no stinking brakes!

pretender said:
1. Interrupter levers have nothing to do with "hipsters". A hipster doesn't use brakes (duh).
2. If interrupter levers are adding drag to the cables, they are installed wrong.
3. Cable housing should not be cut as short as possible.
4. Using the hoods on a sketchy descent is a bad idea.

1. Not all hipsters are truly hip. (duh)
2. Probably were. They were only useful for wheely control anyway.
3. Depends on your definition of short as possible. My definition: as short as possible and doesn't start binding until less than 90 degree steering angle, and no rise around the seat post at the rear.
4. Depends on your abilities and comfort level.
5. Honestly, Your Honor, these changes to my brakes improved the response and reduce the drag on the system.

Moo

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
aight lets get back to my brakes, one of my levers is broken, and i hate these brakes.

Will that exact setup above work w/ my 2009 singlecross?
Will i need a set of cables too?
Ask your mom.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
I think they should work fine as a replacement for cantis: V brake, and levers that are designed to work with them.

Replacing cables is often a good idea in any case. Clean cables in clean outers run smoother.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts