Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Need to replace my Jamis CF frame

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
OK, so I was hit by a car, pretty much snapped the frame in half. Jamis has what *seems* to be a pretty good deal 25% off crash replacement frame. But they're not selling any carbon fiber bikes any more!

Any recommendations on a decent carbon fiber frame that will accept 10-speed Ultegra Di2 (6770)?

#5 ·
I always advocate against this strategy. Spending windfall money on something you normally couldn't afford usually results in something that's too expensive to maintain unless you keep getting hit by cars and get decent settlements. :D

Better to stick within your budget and replace the Jamis with something in a similar class. Sorry; I don't have any suggestions on what to replace it with.

#4 ·
OK, so I was hit by a car, pretty much snapped the frame in half. Jamis has what *seems* to be a pretty good deal 25% off crash replacement frame.
Any recommendations on a decent carbon fiber frame that will accept 10-speed Ultegra Di2 (6770)?
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Is the driver/insurance paying for it?

Is it just the frame? Is the groupset ok? Reason I ask, 6770 is obsolete and really hard to find parts. Especially rear derailleurs. If you find one, you'll pay a premium price. Used ones are selling for several hundred on eBay.
My wife was hit the other year (on her Jamis Xenith Pro) luckily the frame was fine. But some of the 6770 parts were damaged. It was so expensive to replace them, I was able to take the money and buy a whole new 11sp drivetrain.

But they're not selling any carbon fiber bikes any more!
Dang that sucks.

#7 · (Edited)
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Is the driver/insurance paying for it?

Is it just the frame? Is the groupset ok? Reason I ask, 6770 is obsolete and really hard to find parts. Especially rear derailleurs. If you find one, you'll pay a premium price. Used ones are selling for several hundred on eBay.
My wife was hit the other year (on her Jamis Xenith Pro) luckily the frame was fine. But some of the 6770 parts were damaged. It was so expensive to replace them, I was able to take the money and buy a whole new 11sp drivetrain.

Dang that sucks.
Most of the groupset looks fine. I literally *just* replaced the front derailleur, so I've seen the prices of 6770. The wires came unplugged, but none are broken.
the left crank is bent, but I'm guessing that pretty much any Ultegra crankset since 2010 should work.

#6 ·
Accident was completely my fault, so I'l be paying for bike replacement out of pocket. I got distracted by a driver wanting to talk about the weather through his open window, rode right into an intersection against the red light and got T-Boned.

I think the bike took the entire impact with the car. No pain until I hit the pavement two lanes over.

#8 ·
Dude, I feel your pain. Not on a bike but I was backing into the driveway and the neighbor greeted me and I kept backing up after he got my attention, right into the garage door. It wasn't pretty.

Lets us k\leave the distracted movements t others.

#10 ·
Although Jamis isn't doing any carbon road bikes, anymore (though they do have the carbon gravel bike), did you ask about any stock left over in their warranty department? Sometimes, as they go a few years, they'll be willing to sell frames out of their warranty stock. I'd double-check, you might get lucky.

#11 ·
I had to go through a dealer to take advantage of the policy. They found me a frame in the same size I had, probably a year newer, but they haven't told me the price yet.

On-line, I can get a CF frame from framedbikes.com, in the perfect geometry, for $345, so that's my yardstick.

#12 ·
Following up. Yeah the "crash replacement" frame from Jamis would have been $1,600, with no discount on the rebuild.

So, I ordered the $345 "Liege" from Framed. Will have it built up when I put my hands on some cranks and pedals (did not originally realize that one pedal was trashed). Not sure if my BB or headset bearings will transfer, ready to pay for new ones there too.

#13 ·
Multitasking is bad, mmmmkay? Best to ignore people wanting to make conversion while in/on any vehicle. Social distancing during the pandemic makes this even easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.