Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 C50 that has some minor paint scuffing on the top tube due to the bike falling over when improperly leaned. Is there a bike painter that specializes in stock Colnago paint schemes??

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Dctrofspin said:
I have a 2004 C50 that has some minor paint scuffing on the top tube due to the bike falling over when improperly leaned. Is there a bike painter that specializes in stock Colnago paint schemes??

Is it worth it?

My instinct says call the company. If they don't do it, I'm sure they could refer you to someone that will. You'll go through the normal "harrass-the-bike-company-until-you-get-an-answer" routine. But eventually they'll cough up something.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doctor Who said:
Probably a bunch of 'em in Gatlinburg or Dollyworld.
Spend a lot of time there, do you?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just beautiful...dare I ask what that set you back in $$$?

·
Tommasini
121 Posts
Cycle Art

I used the gang at CycleArt to fix a 1/4 diameter chip on a brand new frame. The tough part is was a mulitcoat candy/metaliic red. They matched it so well that there is nothing noticeable of the old chip - from any direction that the light shines on it. I'm sure they can do well with several colors like you may need.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cyclart

I sent my steel Trek to CycleArt this fall and I'm really sorry I did.

I needed to have them put a brazeon on my right chainstay to hold the cable housing that goes to my rear derailer. They used an old fasioned Campagnolo post with a hole in it type that one never sees anymore. To make it work I had to get a tapered adapter to go in the post and hold the cable housing and I couldn't find one anywhere. Finally they sent me one. If I had known this was going to happen I would have requested a modern cylindrical type.

The last time this frame was painted the painter used a two part automotive urethane (Dupont imron?) which was incredibly tough. The paint Cyclart used is extremely fragile. If anything touches it like gravel, tools, or the skewers that hold the wheels on, big flakes of clearcoat and color paint fall off down to the primer. When I took off the blocks that hold the dropouts for shipping big areas of paint came with them. They sent a bottle of touchup paint which is good because I needed it about 20 times while reassembling the bike.

I'd send it to someone else.

·
T.R., conservationist
235 Posts
San Antonio

Last weekend I saw my friend's vintage Colnage he just had painted, it tuned out really beautiful -- fantastic paint job. The guy said a picture of this bike will end up on his website. I don't remember who did it but it was in San Antonio and I think it cost ~$400. If you're interested I will find out who it was for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't specialize in Collage paint schemes but can certainly help you out with your painting needs. I am a former Trek P1 painter so have plenty of experience painting bike frames/forks.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
I don't specialize in Collage paint schemes but can certainly help you out with your painting needs. I am a former Trek P1 painter so have plenty of experience painting bike frames/forks.
You're kinda late, he needed that paint job back in January of 2006. I'd hazard a guess that it's been done for some time now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts