Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of good suggestions for a new wheelset.

I'm 160 lbs. Going on a Tarmac SL2. Target MSRP $1500 or less. This will be an everyday wheelset. I'd like them to be stiff and aero, but not overly harsh.

Fulcrum 0 and Fulcrum 1 have my attention.

I'm open to other suggestions including custom builds (I have a very good local wheelbuilder).

Thanks.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Fulcrum 0 is great on my commuter.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Custom built

The Squeaky Wheel said:
I'm in need of good suggestions for a new wheelset.

I'm open to other suggestions including custom builds (I have a very good local wheelbuilder).
Until you get into the carbon fiber tubular range, it's hard to imagine how you would get any real performance improvement over a well built wheel based on Campy or Shimano high-end hubs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Until you get into the carbon fiber tubular range, it's hard to imagine how you would get any real performance improvement over a well built wheel based on Campy or Shimano high-end hubs.
So are you recommending I buy hubs/wheels/spokes separately ?

I'm open to all suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
u want aero and then u go for fulcrums? i mean they are slightly better than mavic Ks in that regard, but hardly ideal...

custom def, but skip the OPs.. that is for durability and redundency on a ride (ie, being able to blow a spoke and still go on)...easily avail parts etc...

talk to liegro, rruff, and ergott.... My suggestion is WI hubs, at your weight u could prolly go 18h front, and 24 rear all cx-rays on kinlin 30mm rims ... much more aero than fulcrums, easily replaceable spokes and rims... should be under 1500g real weight assuming u are running shimano gear. alternatively u can order in the spokes and rims from alchemy bike works for someone else to build up.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
$1500 can also get u into carbon. U never mentioned lightweight, which is good. On ebay there are some easton ec70s - 38mm, good spoke count, and sometimes avail buy now for under $800. c. 1750g.

if u desire lighter and all carbon - check out the reynolds attacks (32mm) and assaults (46mm)... should find them for around $1k pretty easily... top product for the money IMO... reynolds rims in decent profile c 1500g, if the cheaper hubs cause an issue u can always swap em out w/ something else down the track... so that's good... even swapping them out to high quality dt or WI hubs should not cost u $1500 all up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wankski said:
u want aero and then u go for fulcrums? i mean they are slightly better than mavic Ks in that regard, but hardly ideal...

custom def, but skip the OPs.. that is for durability and redundency on a ride (ie, being able to blow a spoke and still go on)...easily avail parts etc...

talk to liegro, rruff, and ergott.... My suggestion is WI hubs, at your weight u could prolly go 18h front, and 24 rear all cx-rays on kinlin 30mm rims ... much more aero than fulcrums, easily replaceable spokes and rims... should be under 1500g real weight assuming u are running shimano gear. alternatively u can order in the spokes and rims from alchemy bike works for someone else to build up.
Please elaborate on your preference for kinlin 30mm over OpenPros

The weight of these two rims, on paper, are almost identical.

I'm warming to the concept of DuraAce or WhiteIndustry hubs with CXrays but I don't know enough about the rim choices.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
i wouldn't call it a preference - they are just more suited for different things..

OPs are c. 435g and limited to a min of 28h...also come in 32 and 36h. 18.4mm almost flat profile.

Kinlin 27s are c. 430g, 27mm, and come in 20,24,28,32.

Kinlin 30s are c. 465g, 31mm and have 16,18,20,24,28 and 32h options...

since u called for aero, and are pretty light, i would opt for a low spoke 27 or 30mm... it would be far more aero than the OPs and likely lighter too...

nothing wrong w/ 28h or 32h DA OP set up tho... just not aero. no way...

to contrast it to the fulcrum 1 u were considering... that is a c 1550g wheelset at least... 26mm profile and 16/21 spoke.... c.$1k expensive to replace spokes and (very expensive/hard to replace rims), and u largely cannot reuse the most expensive and important rear hub on another rim. The kinlin 30s would build up fine, with more spokes and likely be more aero and is far cheaper and easier to replace EVERYTHING on them. Lighter too. This wheelset or similar should be around $600USD

also, if u are committed to cx-rays, consider the cost... 64 of them is alot of $$, c. 50% more than the lower spoked alternative.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
wankski said:
i wouldn't call it a preference - they are just more suited for different things..

OPs are c. 435g and limited to a min of 28h...also come in 32 and 36h. 18.4mm almost flat profile.

Kinlin 27s are c. 430g, 27mm, and come in 20,24,28,32.

Kinlin 30s are c. 465g, 31mm and have 16,18,20,24,28 and 32h options...

since u called for aero, and are pretty light, i would opt for a low spoke 27 or 30mm... it would be far more aero than the OPs and likely lighter too...

nothing wrong w/ 28h or 32h DA OP set up tho... just not aero. no way...

to contrast it to the fulcrum 1 u were considering... that is a c 1550g wheelset at least... 26mm profile and 16/21 spoke.... c.$1k expensive to replace spokes and (very expensive/hard to replace rims), and u largely cannot reuse the most expensive and important rear hub on another rim. The kinlin 30s would build up fine, with more spokes and likely be more aero and is far cheaper and easier to replace EVERYTHING on them. Lighter too. This wheelset or similar should be around $600USD

also, if u are committed to cx-rays, consider the cost... 64 of them is alot of $$, c. 50% more than the lower spoked alternative.
Great info.

I'm not concerned about the cost of the Cx-rays.

I probably didn't articulate my needs in the OP as well as I could so I'll try again. I'd like the wheel first to be good for long Rocky Mtn climbs but stiff enough & aero enough for the flats.

Please let me know if that priority list changes your recommendations. I'm going to pass on carbon rims for now.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I have two sets of wheels built on WI hubs, CXrays, Niobium 30 rims. Ron Ruff built one set for me last year with 18 front / 24 rear spokes and they came out at 1455 grams, including brass nipples. Mine have the H1 hubs, but the H2s are just a little heavier since it has larger bearings in the front hub. Cost was about $600, don't know what he would charge for the same wheels today. They have about 3000 miles on them now and are one of my favorite sets of wheels. Plenty stiff and durable, but comfortable as I have them on the bike I use for centuries.

Using an easily replacable spoke, like a CXray, has a lot going for it. If you do happen to break a spoke. You can go to your LBS and, if they don't have a CXRay, they will likely have something that will get you back on the road until you can get one. With most prebuilts, you are out of luck unless your LBS just happens to have gotten some spares, assuming you buy from a shop that stocks the wheels you are interested in.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
+ 11111 on the "easily replaceable" bits.
Last year during a hilly tour on a steep climb I hit some road debris & slipped my chain off into the spokes. Chain chewed into some drive side spokes. Luckily wheels were 32-spoke Ult/OP's so wheel was still easily ridden to finish the day's ride. One trip to small LBS, spokes readily available, no special tools needed to fix, & I'm back on the road within an hour. Alternative with high-bling wheels? Days waiting for replacement spokes, then perhaps 2-3 weeks wait for LBS to fix (at least during peak season around here). On a long tour- you pretty much need to abandon or buy a new rear wheel to finish.
I'm not anti-"high-tech" wheels, but I would never own them as my only wheelset.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Great info.
stiff enough & aero enough for the flats.
Please let me know if that priority list changes your recommendations.
in a word: no. The only thing the OP build has over my initial low spoke nio30 build is redundant spokes, meaning u can keep on going with minimum rim deflection after breaking a spoke... nothing stopping u from building say a 24h/28h nio30... that should be plenty at your weight... more spokes are just a little bit less aero, but cx-rays are a nice aero choice vs just about anything else (especially including many propreitary 'wide-blade' spokes a la campy and mavic) and thus should reduce the difference to the minimum possible.
Oldteen said:
+ 11111 on the "easily replaceable" bits.
I'm not anti-"high-tech" wheels, but I would never own them as my only wheelset.
That is pretty much my policy as well... but $1k alu wheels are rarely a good choice.... take campy for example... the zonda is the SAME thing as the eurus, but for alu spokes on the eurus... i'd take the s/s spokes on the zondas in a heartbeat, should be stiffer and more durable over time. Some sites suggest the actual weight of eurus to be as high as 1590g, and Zondas would be around 1650g... the Zondas can be had for around $600 or less on ebay (new), Eurus cost at least 50% to 80% more... no thanks... its the exact same hub, prolly the exact same rim (i doubt much material is taken off on the eurus as campy suggests)... but a different sticker and different spoke material and all of a sudden it almost doubles in price. That the marketing behind it, rather than substance. i'd imagine its a similar deal w/ fulcrum R1 vs R3s.

Again, changing spokes on the custom Kinlins or OPs is no problem as others have suggested (thanks for the testimonial as well cdhbrad!). U do not need the right length or spoke as mentioned above... more than that, any shop can cut u a j-bend straight gauge and thread it... i'd be surprised if a decent shop did not have this... must cost you $1-$2 max. and it's instant. worst case scenario. learn basic truing and such, and u can replace it yourself = no labour cost. too easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.