Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
List price $800 new.....a 7 yr.old bike for $500 seems high to me. Maybe 1/2 price at $400 seems fair IF it's in great condition :confused:

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's not a 2003, completely different graphics scheme:

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2003&Brand=Cannondale&Model=R400+Triple&Type=bike

It looks older to me. (I'm almost positive that's a quill stem). My guess it's a mid to late 90's model.

Regardless it is way overpriced. It would be way overpriced if it was a 2003, and it's way way overpriced if it's a 90's era bike. It had low level components on it in it's day, and now they are a decade (or more) old. Price new (a decade ago) was roughly $800 (basing that on the 2003 R400 in the link above).

It's worth $100-$300 now depending on it's condition and your market.

If it fits well and it's near immaculate (ie it's sat in the garage all this time and just needs some oil/grease and a good tune) then it's a nice enough bike for what you are describing. If it's been ridden I would expect the drivetrain to be needing some work/new parts.

Regardless he needs to cut his price in half (if it's immaculate, and more if it needs work/parts).

I think you can find better on a $500 budget, keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was skeptical about it being a 2003 as well, and I am proabably not going to even spend the time to go look at this one.

on a side note, my lbs has a 2010 cannondale cadd 6 or caad 8, i cant remember exactly. they want $700 and has a carbon fork. Does anyone have experience or know much about this specific bike?

·
Registered
591 Posts
wayfarer103 said:
I was skeptical about it being a 2003 as well, and I am proabably not going to even spend the time to go look at this one.

on a side note, my lbs has a 2010 cannondale cadd 6 or caad 8, i cant remember exactly. they want $700 and has a carbon fork. Does anyone have experience or know much about this specific bike?
CAAD 8 refers to the frame and then there are models within that.

For 2010 Cannondale had CAAD 8 and CAAD 9 frames.

Within the CAAD 8 frame there is the CAAD 8 S 6 and CAAD 8 S 8 (so it could be either ;) )

Here's the S6:
http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaen.../CAAD8-S/Details/1246-0RA86C_0RA86T-CAAD8-S-6

And the S8:
http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaen.../CAAD8-S/Details/1247-0RA88C_0RA88T-CAAD8-S-8

Given the MRAP and the shop's asking price at this time of year I'm guessing it's an S8.
Honestly, it's spec'd with completely low end no-name parts (below even Sora). Judging from Giant and Trek websites this is roughly equivalent to other bikes in it's price range this year. Every modern road bike is going to have a carbon fork, so that really doesn't mean much.

IMO, I'd continue looking for used and try to find something with a Tiagra or even 105 that's a few years old.

After digging through your local craigslist I can see the frustration, but they do pop up (There was a Giant OCR2 advertised for $250, but it had sold already) if you keep your eyes peeled. You sound like you ride enough to appreciate getting into reasonable components (Tiagra, 105) if you can be patient enough to find something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could be wrong but I think the guy at my lbs said something other than 2300 shimano components. im gonig to go look at it again in a lil over a week when im back home. there was also a trek there, entry level, not a carbon fork and it was 600.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You can buy a new entry level road bike from Trek or Giant for 800 dollars. Why would you want an old 'dale with questionable components and life. Get a new bike, get fitted, get your LBS behind you. You'll ride more and feel better in the end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.