Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to this so forgive me for my ignorance. Just to let you know how ignorant I am my current bike is a Huffy. I have started riding over the last couple weeks and plan to start riding to work pulling my son to and from daycare. I just bought a Burley D'lite bike trailer and now i have to start thinking about a new bike.

My father in law offered to give me a Trek 620 when he heard I was looking into purchasing a new bike and I guess I would like some advice from you guys. Is the 620 any good? It seems pretty old. The bike I was leaning towards was a Trek 7100 so I kind of wonder how this compares to that one. Am I better off taking the free bike maybe spend a little on some upgrades and potentially have a better bike for similar money. This is my first post so go easy on me.

·
Professional Lurker
242 Posts
Unless there was a more recent iteration of the 620 series (like happened with the 720 series), this is an excellent touring bike from the early to mid 1980s. It was made with solid components, excellent tubing, and should last for many more years of riding.

If you post a picture, people also might be able to offer more information.

You can also look at the brochures at www.vintage-trek.com from, say, 1983-1984 to see if this is the bike you have.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Kurto2021 said:
I am pretty new to this so forgive me for my ignorance. Just to let you know how ignorant I am my current bike is a Huffy. I have started riding over the last couple weeks and plan to start riding to work pulling my son to and from daycare. I just bought a Burley D'lite bike trailer and now i have to start thinking about a new bike.

My father in law offered to give me a Trek 620 when he heard I was looking into purchasing a new bike and I guess I would like some advice from you guys. Is the 620 any good? It seems pretty old. The bike I was leaning towards was a Trek 7100 so I kind of wonder how this compares to that one. Am I better off taking the free bike maybe spend a little on some upgrades and potentially have a better bike for similar money. This is my first post so go easy on me.
Why do you need a new bike? I'd say ride on what you have for a while, at least a few months, before you spend on a new bike. By then you'll know if you're going to stick with it and you'll have a better idea of what type of riding you like.

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
If the Trek 620 is the right size, I say take it and see what it can do. Who cares if it's an older bike? Ride it around and you'll know soon enough what you want and don't want in a bike. You may decide it's the right bike for you. I bought my only road bike (a mid to late '80s Fuji Ace) off my buddy 2 years ago for $40, and, after fitting it with new tires, new handlebar tape, and clipless pedals, I'm still quite pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Point #1
Don't automatically assume a bike, in this case a Huffy, isn't road worthy. There is a guy that I often see out on the same loop I ride with a 7eleven era Huffy road bike. One reason I often see him is that he is always passing me on my '00 LOOK and another guy in the group with a '05 sub 18lb Specialized Roubaix.

Point #2
It is a great thing to be able to ride a free bike until you know what is right and wrong about it, specifically size and components. You may be very content with the bike or only need to make a few small changes. By the way, given the option between a new rig with an OK fit and an old rig that fits well, it isn't a hard decision. FIT is priority #1

Point #3
Between the Huffy, the Trek, and possibly borrowing a buddies bike for a ride, you will get a balanced feel of what you like and how you want it to fit.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
That...

handsomerob said:
Point #1
Don't automatically assume a bike, in this case a Huffy, isn't road worthy. There is a guy that I often see out on the same loop I ride with a 7eleven era Huffy road bike. One reason I often see him is that he is always passing me on my '00 LOOK and another guy in the group with a '05 sub 18lb Specialized Roubaix.

Point #2
It is a great thing to be able to ride a free bike until you know what is right and wrong about it, specifically size and components. You may be very content with the bike or only need to make a few small changes. By the way, given the option between a new rig with an OK fit and an old rig that fits well, it isn't a hard decision. FIT is priority #1

Point #3
Between the Huffy, the Trek, and possibly borrowing a buddies bike for a ride, you will get a balanced feel of what you like and how you want it to fit.
That isn't a Huffy that the guy passing you is riding. That is a sweet Serotta custom built for the 7/11 team back in the day. Huffy had nothing do with the building of that bike. And aside, we all know it's about the engine, not so much the bike.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
hahahah veeeery slight difference :p
(ah man serottas are b-e-a-utiful)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts