Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's available everywhere, and I'm not looking to scam the bike shop out of 40-50%, but a discount of some sort would be nice.

I read stories of people getting an average of about 15% off with service for ~ year, or some random parts swapped out for nicer stuff. I've never really negociated anything, any advice, tips, how:to, etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
I know it's available everywhere, and I'm not looking to scam the bike shop out of 40-50%, but a discount of some sort would be nice.

I read stories of people getting an average of about 15% off with service for ~ year, or some random parts swapped out for nicer stuff. I've never really negociated anything, any advice, tips, how:to, etc?

Thanks
join a local cycling club.
involve yourself in the cycling community.
you get what you put in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not usually

In my experience shops usually won't come down much, if at all, on the marked price for bikes. They just don't have a lot of margin to work with. Companies that list their MSRP usually set them a good 15 % or so higher than what shops will actually charge, which makes it look like you are getting a discount. You can find some that are marked down -- usually prior-year's models. If they are marked down much, the shop probably isn't making much or any profit, just wanting to clear the older inventory so they can display newer models.

I think most shops will offer free tune-ups for a year, or something along those lines. If they don't mention it, it might be worth asking. Some also will give you discounts on other items if you buy a bike. You might just say hey, I'm spending $_____ on the bike, what kind of break can you give me if I throw in a new helmet, shoes, pump, jersey, etc.?

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you get what you put in.
The problem is that I want to SWITCH bike shops (from old bike shop "A" to new bike shop "B"). I was formerly into mountain biking, so I bought my mtb at shop "A." I thought they had pretty good service (it was my first bike shop), but when I came to this new one ("B"), the quality and professionalism blew away my former shop. The only problem is that it is pretty far from my house and I'm now looking to buy a road bike. That means I don't have experience with shop "B" of any kind other than scouting bikes that I was looking to buy. I would love to do these events, but I just wont have a road bike until...probably this Wednesday.

Any other tips? Thanks thus far.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ask

iliveonnitro said:

Thanks
You'd be suprised how many places you can get a discount if you simply ask. I'm not going to preach any super Karrass negotiating stuff but the simple fact is you have to remember you're the one with the cash in hand.

Ask serious questions, ask them for their input and advice. Early on tell them that you are maybe not looking to buy today, but when the time comes you would like to give them the opportunity to make the sale to you. When the time comes give the salesperson you have talked to a call and tell him/her you are ready to buy and want to give them a chance at making the sale. Meet them and give them a price you want..say 20% off. What have you got to loose? Maybe they come down, maybe they don't. Your not being a jerk, its your money and the bike shop is a business not a charity. If you want to feel fuzzy good make a donation to the IMBA with the money you saved.

Maybe there's more competion in the shops around me (socal), but I have managed to get discounts.

·
Registered
843 Posts
From the inside...

In a word, no. Especially if you're trying to forge a relationship with a new shop. They don't know you or your buying habits. You might be willing to spend a lot of money in this new shop, either now or over a long period of time - but they don't know that, nor do they have any history with you to base their decision on. This is the lasting impression you'll give them of you; the guy that expects discounts regardless of his loyalty. Many shops might begrudgingly give you a discount, even on some current-year product. But, unless you can quickly show them you're not just trying to milk them for whatever you can get, you'll never have a really good relationship with the shop.

If you want discounts, go to work in a shop or join an organization the shop supports. It still won't necessarily be a quick way to get a discount, but you'll start a relationship that will reap many more benefits in the long run.

If you want discounts up front, buy something off the 'net. Then, if you've managed to get the right size bike, you'll need to be positioned on the bike ($40-60/hour at 1-2 hours). Assuming the initial fit session is perfect and you never need to change it, you might still have some of that discount left. If you don't get either or both of those right, freelancing, a good chiropractor will help you decide what to do with your discount after a few months of long rides in the wrong position on the wrong size bike...

Bob

·
Banned
476 Posts
no reason to pay list

you can easily get a discount off list price; and if the local dealer will not do it; you can call the next town over -- tell them you are coming in from somewhere else and what is the best deal they can get you

or shop online
for same specs then ask the shop to 'come close'

or ask the dealer to throw in 25% in accessories; which only costs him 12%

if a dealer has $1000 markup in a bike; then they should easy come down $500 for a buy and go deal

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
collectorvelo said:
you can easily get a discount off list price; and if the local dealer will not do it; you can call the next town over -- tell them you are coming in from somewhere else and what is the best deal they can get you
True

or shop online
for same specs then ask the shop to 'come close'
again I agree

or ask the dealer to throw in 25% in accessories; which only costs him 12%
still on track

if a dealer has $1000 markup in a bike; then they should easy come down $500 for a buy and go deal
but then you go off the rails!

If you're making $1000 on a bike and you give 50% of that away, you're lucky to break even after you take into account the cost of premises, power and the time of the salesman and the mechanic. Not to mention the free tune up after 4 weeks.

It is rare that a shop gets a true buy & go sale. Most of the time the buyer may have been in a couple of times looking and testing bikes before they actually go ahead with the purchase.

A shop near me gives labour 2 free services in a year on all new bikes, and servicing for life on all bikes over £1500.

Expecting a 25% discount is asking the shop to slit it's own throat. The days of cash prices is long gone. Ask the shop what deal they can do and see what they offer. Most shops will strike a reasonable deal. If you don't like the offer you can say so and see if they move toward your ideal, or walk away. Just be reasonable and polite and see what happens.

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
iliveonnitro said:

Thanks
Negotiating a price is certainly not unreasonable. However, a good approach is to just ask what the shop offers. Shop around and let them know that you are doing so. Tell them what other shops have to offer. You are actually doing them a favor by letting them know how their competition is doing business. a good shop will always be willing to let you know why you should buy a bike from them. Sometimes what you don't save in dollars you will gain in customer service.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
All good info

Good to hear insider's advise as well as non-insider's advice. If you're knowledgeble buy on line. lots of deals if you do your home work. Second, buy bike tools and learn to do it yourself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dfleck said:
you get what you put in.
Best advice I'm heard all day.

As for my thoughts on the rest of the thread. With internet shopping and with such tight competition from other shops, <B>no one </B> sells a high end road bike for list price. With the amount of shops going out of business these days you don't have to be an economist to see that they're already playing with tight margins.

Join a club, support the shop first, then ask them to cut into thier profit.

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
bg. said:
Best advice I'm heard all day.

As for my thoughts on the rest of the thread. With internet shopping and with such tight competition from other shops, <B>no one </B> sells a high end road bike for list price. With the amount of shops going out of business these days you don't have to be an economist to see that they're already playing with tight margins.

Join a club, support the shop first, then ask them to cut into thier profit.
Joining a club usually gets you an 10% discount. Great way to get some dollars off of a bike without feeling cheap. Some shops will also work "sponsorship deals" where the shop will help the club (usually race club) get deals from a manufacturer (Giant is really good for this). That way everyone is happy, and maybe you'll want to buy a build kit from the dealer and have them install it.

BTW: margins are so low in the industry that 10% - 15% off is a big chunck.
another BTW... when the shop guys know you by name, you are likely to receive some hook-ups ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Maybe try being polite? Being nice never hurt anyone, and if you go into the shop a few times and talk to them and forge a relationship, they may be more inclined to hook you up. I just got a bike this week. I had been in three times previously. By being on my collegiate team I got 10% off (so join your local club). In talking to the guys about a few bikes I was looking at we identified some stregnths and weaknesses of the bikes. The one I ended up with doesn't have the greatest brakes, so the guys hooked me up with a set of Dura-Ace brakepads. Not the greatest, but they will help untill I can save to buy new brakes. They also hooked me up with a second skewer and cheap tire so I could spend some time on a trainer without ruining my new tires and the stock bontragor skewer didnt fit on the trainer I am using. Lastly, since I was buying some other stuff (I'm new to cycling) such as shoes and pedals, they agreed to throw in a free computer. Granted I was getting 10% off on the shoes, pedals, helmet etc. I got, but it was a nice gesture. They way it worked was I told them day 1 I had a budget. When I finally went in to buy everything, we went through and picked stuff out. Cut some costs by opting for WellGo's instead of Speedplays, splurged on a better pair of shoes. All in all I was fairly reasonable. When it came to crunching the numbers, I was like 50 bucks over the budget. I reminded them of my budget and said, well I don't have the money, I'm gonna have to take something out, which was going to be my computer. The guy said, you know what, just keep it, it's on us (CatEye Astrale 8). Granted its under 40 bucks for me after the discount, it was a nice gesture. I also got some free tuneups and other stuff. I'd say try to be friendly and polite, then cross your fingers. Good luck

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
collectorvelo said:
You have got to be kidding. You think someone is going to give up HALF of their margin... dream on.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
CC09 said:
Maybe try being polite? Being nice never hurt anyone, and if you go into the shop a few times and talk to them and forge a relationship, they may be more inclined to hook you up. I just got a bike this week. I had been in three times previously. By being on my collegiate team I got 10% off (so join your local club). In talking to the guys about a few bikes I was looking at we identified some stregnths and weaknesses of the bikes. The one I ended up with doesn't have the greatest brakes, so the guys hooked me up with a set of Dura-Ace brakepads. Not the greatest, but they will help untill I can save to buy new brakes. They also hooked me up with a second skewer and cheap tire so I could spend some time on a trainer without ruining my new tires and the stock bontragor skewer didnt fit on the trainer I am using. Lastly, since I was buying some other stuff (I'm new to cycling) such as shoes and pedals, they agreed to throw in a free computer. Granted I was getting 10% off on the shoes, pedals, helmet etc. I got, but it was a nice gesture. They way it worked was I told them day 1 I had a budget. When I finally went in to buy everything, we went through and picked stuff out. Cut some costs by opting for WellGo's instead of Speedplays, splurged on a better pair of shoes. All in all I was fairly reasonable. When it came to crunching the numbers, I was like 50 bucks over the budget. I reminded them of my budget and said, well I don't have the money, I'm gonna have to take something out, which was going to be my computer. The guy said, you know what, just keep it, it's on us (CatEye Astrale 8). Granted its under 40 bucks for me after the discount, it was a nice gesture. I also got some free tuneups and other stuff. I'd say try to be friendly and polite, then cross your fingers. Good luck
My kind of customer!

·
Banned
476 Posts
Relationship?

I do not need a relationship with a bike shop, an internet seller, a computer store, or any other merchant. I need a good product at a great price.

If a bike shop makes $1000 on a bike at list; you can easily buy it for $500 off list; if you know what you are doing and how to handle it.

If you guys want to leave money on the table; go ahead. I prefer to get a great deal.

Buy the way; stores selling $2000 computers at $1495 -- do not make $1000 on them - so they can 'give up' half their margin - so can a bike shop.

Truth is; I have purchased several bikes at discounts of over 35% and somethings as high as 50% off list.

Compare specs; shop smart; make the dealer an offer and if they do not want to play; move on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Absolutely!!

I just did it! I spent two afternoons trying to decide between an "expert" and "pro" level bike. They knew I would buy, it was just a matter of which one. I simply asked, "do you ever price match or negotiate on price?" The guy said he was sure they could do something. After I decided, I asked again and they cut the tax off of the bike. The bike was already $300 off MSRP, and this took is down another $250!

This is the kicker: I had two new bottle cages put on, $15 each. I look at my receipt the next day and notice they forgot to charge me for them. I go back to pick up my old bike (boxed for shipment) and tell them that they forgot to charge me the $30. They said they appreciated the honesty, but didn't want to charge me for the cages.

So, I guess the moral is a little relationship, honesty, and being nice goes a long way.

Nevery hurts to ask, right?

Good luck.

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
collectorvelo said:
I do not need a relationship with a bike shop, an internet seller, a computer store, or any other merchant. I need a good product at a great price.

If a bike shop makes $1000 on a bike at list; you can easily buy it for $500 off list; if you know what you are doing and how to handle it.

If you guys want to leave money on the table; go ahead. I prefer to get a great deal.

Buy the way; stores selling $2000 computers at $1495 -- do not make $1000 on them - so they can 'give up' half their margin - so can a bike shop.

Truth is; I have purchased several bikes at discounts of over 35% and somethings as high as 50% off list.

Compare specs; shop smart; make the dealer an offer and if they do not want to play; move on.
You must be the guy the shop mechanics talk about when they mention dropping bearings down the seat tube.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Allez05 said:
I just did it! I spent two afternoons trying to decide between an "expert" and "pro" level bike. They knew I would buy, it was just a matter of which one. I simply asked, "do you ever price match or negotiate on price?" The guy said he was sure they could do something. After I decided, I asked again and they cut the tax off of the bike. The bike was already $300 off MSRP, and this took is down another $250!

This is the kicker: I had two new bottle cages put on, $15 each. I look at my receipt the next day and notice they forgot to charge me for them. I go back to pick up my old bike (boxed for shipment) and tell them that they forgot to charge me the $30. They said they appreciated the honesty, but didn't want to charge me for the cages.

So, I guess the moral is a little relationship, honesty, and being nice goes a long way.

Nevery hurts to ask, right?

Good luck.
Oh yea, forgot to mention they threw in 2 free bottles (thats standard I guess) and also 2 of the specialized ribcages, so thats another 15 bucks I guess.

·
Banned
476 Posts
bearings down the seat tube??

Are you saying I should be affraid of a bike mechanic?

Do you pay list for a new car, due to fear the salesman will put water in your gas tank?

How about a new motorcycle? You would pay list so that the shop wouldnt leave your brake loose after the first service?

Ever buy a Boat? Did you pay list for it? [if you try to get a deal I bet the store did something bad to it before you picked it up]

maybe if you fear what bike shops will do to you; you should buy online
or maybe take up a sport where adults work in the stores

this entire idea of not getting a good deal when you buy a new bike seems plan silly; unless you do not have to work hard for your money

1 - 20 of 39 Posts