Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be getting a road bike soon at an LBS. Most likely a C-dale R700. I'm wondering what's the best way to haggle about price.

I've dropped about $200 at the dealership in the past month and this will be my 2nd bike from them. First bike is over 20 years old, though. :D

Any way to estimate the dealer's cost? I think 10% off additional bits, other than the frame/wheels, would also be attractive.

Anyone have the sales spin down? Share your expertise, please. Not trying to deny the dealer a profit, just don't want to be unnecessarily bent over.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Search

This has been discussed quite a few times on the General forum. Do a search on it. The short answer is that bike shops don't make much money on bikes, or much money total, and your negotiating leverage is minimal. Don't expect much response to your desire for a discount. If price is your main concern, wait for a sale.

· Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,021 Posts
Since this is Beginner's Corner, and I'm still a beginner, I'll throw in my two cents.

I'd read the advice about not haggling over price on the bike, and heeded it. I run my small business the same way, so it was easy to follow. I never cut a deal on the first sale, since there might not be a second one. But a regular customer gets beaucoup breaks.

As it turned out, my LBS shares the same philosophy. I never blinked an eye at full MSRP on the bike. Their policy is 10% off accessories and free installation at the time of the sale. So I bought some stuff. They knocked even more off the helmet when it turned out the only one that fit me comfortably was a 2004 model that had been collecting dust.

A couple of weeks later, I went back to buy more stuff. (I was starting out minimally in case cycling didn't float my boat, to mix metaphors.) Suddenly, that became 10% off accessories and free installation within 30 days of the purchase.

SInce then I've gone back every couple of weeks, adding to my growing collection of bike s**t. No discounts, but free installation continued. Today I had to take it in for a repair. No charge for labor. When signing the receipt, I pointed out the mistake. "Oh, no mistake," he told me. "We like seeing you come back and figure if we treat you right, you'll get your next bike from us too."

And you know what? He's right.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
You can ask but don't be insulted if they say no.

cjack said:
Anyone have the sales spin down? Share your expertise, please. Not trying to deny the dealer a profit, just don't want to be unnecessarily bent over.
Figure for that $1000 bike invoice cost is $700, freight is $20, assembly time of an hour for a Cannondale $25 and an hour of sales time $20. So the dealer is making $245 on that $1,000 sale-before overhead.

You should know that in many parts of the country low price bikes like this one are in real demand (something about high gas prices.....) and the dealers have no real incentive to discount a bike that they aren't making a whole lot of money on and they can easily sell to the next customer coming in the door.

Now if you can find a last years model on the showroom floor with some dust on it….. that is where the negotiations can really begin.

· Registered
19 Posts
I bought an '05 Felt for an additional $300 off the LBS regular price (not MSRP, and I'm referring to their 2005 regular price, obviously). The sales manager volunteered to throw in any accesories I wanted to buy *at the same time* (not later on, this was clear) at a 10% discount.

I wound up getting two sets of pedals (Quattro SL and Mallet C for the mtb) and a pair of Specialized Sonoma shoes (flexi enough to walk, firm enough to pass as a road shoe?) at 25% off, 50% off a bunch of other stuff (bag, patch kit, multi-tool, CO2 inflator, etc.), and some more stuff yet for free (PI socks, presta adapter, chain lube, water bottle/cage, etc.). In addition to the hella deal she cut me, she also fit the bike to me on a trainer, which was a) enlightening/educational and b) fun. Don't abuse them, have a positive attitude (nothing like discussing 'package movement while cycling' with your sales person to lighten things up), and they just might go out of their way to make sure you're happy.

Where do you think I'm going to go when my kids need larger bikes? Or, if my wife decides she's tired of mashing that old Mongoose Sequoia steel jobby around town? :yesnod:

Good luck!

· Registered
499 Posts
Don't expect much of a break on the price of the bike, but you can haggle with accessories.

It's not uncommon for the shop to throw in a couple of bottles and cages free (i've gotten them on a couple of bikes now), and discounts on pedals and other accessories. I got 50 percent off my pedals and 15 percent off everything else when I bought my last bike. They set everything up, including the computer and threw in two of their t-shirts for my wife and I.

And the shop knew I would NOT be a repeat customer. I was on vacation and explained that we were looking for a bike there because there are few shops where I live and none sell Cannondales.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Do you haggle at Safeway? How about at resturaunts?
If its used, go ahead and haggle.

That said, If you're buying a bike most shops will give you 25% off on accessories, like helmet, shoes, gloves, bottles etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.