Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my neighbor parks his car right in front of my house. There is never anyone in front of his house. He has a long driveway that opens up to a place to park 2 cars, but his wife likes to go in the front door, so she parks in the front of the driveway blocking it off. So now, When I need to park in front, I have to park in front of my other neighbors. It's starting to pizz me off a lil bit. Park in front of your own GD house. Is there any type of ordinance that says the spot in front of your house is for your vehicles? It's not like I live in the city or anything.

The best thing is, in the summer, when I mow the lawn, I have no choice but to ding his car with the lawnmower when I cut the parkway.....

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Or you could just ask him "hiya dude, mind if you dont park in front of my house? My kids play in the front yard, and might ding your ride"

If you dont have kids... borrow some.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
jaegermeister269 said:
So my neighbor parks his car right in front of my house. There is never anyone in front of his house. He has a long driveway that opens up to a place to park 2 cars, but his wife likes to go in the front door, so she parks in the front of the driveway blocking it off. So now, When I need to park in front, I have to park in front of my other neighbors. It's starting to pizz me off a lil bit. Park in front of your own GD house. Is there any type of ordinance that says the spot in front of your house is for your vehicles? It's not like I live in the city or anything.

The best thing is, in the summer, when I mow the lawn, I have no choice but to ding his car with the lawnmower when I cut the parkway.....
Do you live in my house? I've got the exact same thing. Makes mowing the lawn a serious PITA.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Kill 'em with kindness.

Bring over some cookies (or beers, or beer flavored cookies) and tell him that you might be having some friends over who will need to park out front.

Or, use the same strategy and tell him you'll be mowing and really don't want to ding his car.

You're not putting him on the defensive or creating an awkward situation, and chances are after asking him once he'll just start parking elsewhere.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Park in front of his house with your wheels in the grass.

On a rainy day.

But only if you don't need the car for 3 days.

Or you'll need his help getting it out.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
I had a similar problem. I lived on a corner lot and the guy across the street always parked his snowmobile trailer on my side of the street. I asked him to move the trailer and he got pretty indignant. From then on he was a total jerk. He would come over and tell me to move my car if I parked in "his" spot (in front of my house)! The problem was that you can park where ever you want on a public street. So I couldn't (legally) do anything about it. When I was feeling extra jerkish I would park in front of his house and that would really tork him off. I'm glad I sold that house and moved.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
My city just passed an ordinance to prohibit this behavior. You can't park overnight unless you're sleeping in the house you're in front of.

I welcomed the change - for some reason my street has lots of large extended families, each member having their own car, and it's a PITA for the reasons noted above.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Same problem at my old house (less than 2 weeks ago). Neighbour across the road bought a house with Mommy's money and would always have allot people over. On a corner lot, I was surrounded by cars. Thank god for winter time parking restrictions; no parking on the street at night.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
no legal thing you can do.

i agree with teh above mentioned "dinging" issue. tell him you dont wanna ding the car. because you really dont.

growing up, and even when i go back and visit my folks, this is always an issue. "you cant park in front of their house," i would hear in exasperation.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
I have the same problem... My problem neighbor doesn't even live directly across from me. he lives one house down and across the street.. The worst part of the whole thing is he doesn't work, and his run down bomb of a car doesn't move for days at a time. Luckily my driveway runs behind my house to my garage, but when having company over, they all have to park down the street further..

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Oh ya, you could also drop a pocket full of roofing nails on the curb. Play catch on the front lawn, lawn darts, paint ball.........:D

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
My neighbors sometime park in front of my corner lot as well. I typically don't mind because my wife and I keep our vehicles in the garage off of our alley.

BUT, there was one time when a car that had obviously been rolled mysteriously showed up in front of our place. 2 flat tires, smashed windshield and other windows, dented roof, headlight hanging out by its wires, etc. It sat there for a few days and we expected someone to come get it. It had a little note on the windshield that said "don't tow".

Yeah, try again. Our city has an ordinance that ANY vehicle that doesn't move for a certain number of days can be towed. We had them tow that car as well as 2 others that had been parked across the street for months without moving.

No problems since.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
jpelaston said:
I have the same problem... My problem neighbor doesn't even live directly across from me. he lives one house down and across the street.. The worst part of the whole thing is he doesn't work, and his run down bomb of a car doesn't move for days at a time. Luckily my driveway runs behind my house to my garage, but when having company over, they all have to park down the street further..
If the car doesn't move for days at a time, you probably could actually call the city, depending on local ordinances.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
most likely nothing illegal about it. i'd just park in front of his house or on his lawn.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts