Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys heard of these before? Their new bike were designed by BMW Designworks USA apparently. Aesthetically they look pretty nice. Although, the Diablo seems pretty close to the new Orca. They seems to have a lot of marketing jargon on thier page, so Im just curious

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
Isn't NP originally a windsurfing sail and rigging company? These are probably generic Chinese carbon with the NP logo slapped on. I could be mistaken, but there seems to be no shortage of those brands lately...

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is built in Hong Kong. Agree with the marketing jargon comment. But.... other than exclusive italian brands and custom hand built bikes, to what bike companies would the first two comments by desurfer NOT apply?

I bought a NP Diablo last week. I also own a custom and a Felt AR-1 and Parlee custom carbin frame (2007). The NP Diablo and the Felt AR-1 are built up with SRAM Red components. I have Campy record on the Parlee. I was impressed with the frame design on the Diablo, and very impressed by the stiffness and light weight.

I am a muscular rider - 6'3", 214 lbs. I like riding centuries/long road races, occasional circuit races and climbing - even though I will never climb like a 150 pounder :) I am (of course) fastest in the flats when the 150 pounders will try and latch onto my wheel. I have a "day job" that is pretty demanding and so I ride as much as I can, but not as much as I would like...

Comparing the 3 bikes:

Parlee is the most comfortable, but a bit flexy when I really want to get on it. RIde is predictable, but can even feel a bit "boring" at times. It is the oldest of my 3 bikes, so a newer Parlee might not compare. Admittedly, the Parlee geometry is more for touring than going really fast.

The AR-1 (2010) is stiffer and faster than the Parlee. It has been my favorite bike since I got it about a year and a half ago. The aero frame helps me to be fastest where I am fast, and it climbs reasonably well. I really do feel a difference when there is a headwind. I am riding Spinergy stealth PBO wheels, which smooth out the ride a bit, and let me ride all day and still want more. The bike corners very well, and lets me maintain my highest top speed.

The Diablo is the newest bike. I only have about 75 miles on it, including a charity 65 mile ride yesterday. It is BY FAR the stiffest of my bikes - and stiff when you are 6'3" on a 61 cm frame is hard to do. It climbs the best and corners the best of my three bikes. It really has a race bike feel, and I am itching to get it out on the weekly circuit rides. It accelerates like nothing I have ever ridden. But it is not the bike I want to ride "all day." The stiffness does wear me down after a while. I felt cracks in familiar roads that I never knew were there.

Summary? I like the NP bike A LOT! It is exciting and fun to ride, fast, and climbs and corners well. No regrets. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Peloton did a review of the Diablo and said it is extremely stiff. To the point of feeling every little unevenness in the road. They said it was a rocketship on smooth roads, but could be dicey on broken pavement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw that review. I think it is generally accurate. Given that I am a taller heavier rider, that stiffness can be a benefit. The frame might be dicey at 56cm under a 160 bl rider. Also, the Mavic wheels on the standard set-up are a bit harsh also, and perhaps not the best match or the bike for every rider. Just saying that there are a few variables to consider on this or any bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts