Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 838 Posts

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit I have an attraction for classic steel/lugged frames with a modern twist. I've seen several Nags, Rellos, Merckx, and the like upgraded with newer components and look fantastic. Unfortunately, I've also seen some retro/modern interpretations that look hideous. I'm planning on starting a Neo/Retro build myself and would LOVE to see those modernized classics for some ideas and just admire other peoples efforts. So let’s see those neo classics!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's my recently-acquired 1987 Sachs with a Chorus/Record mix. The wheelset includes DT 240s hubs with Open Pros. I would love to take it out for a ride, but it won't stop snowing. I'll post a pic of my ex-De Rosa next.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
JasonF said:
Here's my recently-acquired 1987 Sachs with a Chorus/Record mix. The wheelset includes DT 240s hubs with Open Pros. I would love to take it out for a ride, but it won't stop snowing. I'll post a pic of my ex-De Rosa next.
Outstanding...Who in their right mind sold a Sachs?

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
JasonF said:
It appears to be my size, too. I would kill a man for that bike. ;)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,433 Posts
I see that I'm not the only person in the world that still has a working pair of PP76's. I still use them on my TT bike.
I'm going to have to take a pic of my Bianchi TSX.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice!!!

That Sachs is sweet! My biggest struggle is what parts to go silver and what to go black. I'm going silver centaur (I just love the looks/lines) but will probably go black stem bars and perhaps a black/silver post (ritchey or AC). Wheels are still up in the air but I have a set of AC 420s that would look good on a neo retro.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Ironically, I'm on the hunt for some older alloy Chorus ergolevers as I find the carbon not a great match.

I've had those pedals since my racing days in college during the late-80s. They still spin like new.

The top tube on the Sachs is a 52.5. It was purchased it from a guy who races on the Sachs 'cross team. He bought it NOS from a bike shop in the Boston area for his girlfriend, who ended up not riding it. There were a couple of chips from the bike being moved around over the years, but not one road blem. For example, the FD braze-on was absolutely pristine, without a mark where a derraileur would be installed.

Handling is amazing, kind of like a Porsche where the rewards are great, so long as you pay attention to what you're doing. I wouldn't call it twitchy, but it is much more responsive than my De Rosa. On the other hand, I thought the De Rosa felt sort of dead in the rear triangle, whereas the Sachs comes to life.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Here is a really bad picture of my ~1976 Keith Lippy (first photo). 68cm R531 frame. "Triple Triangle" design long before GT cointed the phrase.

I built it up over about 6 months with deals I got from eBay, Nashbar, etc, including:

- XT rear der
- XTR front der - which I am about to swap out for a 105.
- Mavic rims
- Truvativ triple crank
- NOS Shimano Tourney centerpull brakes - once you try these, you might never go back to sidepulls.
- Custom fork by Allan Wanta (That's black paint on cro-moly! Not carbon!)

It's not a beautiful Richard Sachs, but it gets me down the road quite nicely.

Apologies to people who have seen this photo in previous posts.

- Forbes Bagatelle-Black
Santa Clarita, CA

PS: I think I'll be wrapping up Frankenbike V1.0 this weekend. Lots of "twists" performed to a nice old Fuji Del Rey. See second photo for the "Before" pic. I'll post "After" pics on the commuting/touring forum ASAP.

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
Lots of "twists" performed to a nice old Fuji Del Rey. See second photo for the "Before" pic. I'll post "After" pics on the commuting/touring forum ASAP.
Where did you get that Del Ray? My brother bought that exact bike back in '85, but it was stolen out of his garage in LA in '89. Does it happen to have a bike shop sticker on it anywhere?

Don't worry, he won't want it back. I'm just curious because there aren't too many 67cm Fuji Del Rays out there.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
ElvisMerckx said:
Where did you get that Del Ray? My brother bought that exact bike back in '85, but it was stolen out of his garage in LA in '89. Does it happen to have a bike shop sticker on it anywhere?

Don't worry, he won't want it back. I'm just curious because there aren't too many 67cm Fuji Del Rays out there.
I bought the bike in an eBay auction. Seller was "Treasure Hunt Collectables" out of Virginia. There were no LBS labels on the bike, and now it's got a fresh coat of rattle-can paint, which looks pretty good from 20' away. I'm getting the hang of back-yard paint jobs slowly but surely.

You'd be surprised how many 67cm Del Rey's are out there. I see more 67cm Valite Fujis than any other large-framed bikes.

- Forbes Bagatelle-Black

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
Thanks for the info. Nope, it's not the same bike. Coincidentally, my brother bought his Del Ray in VA. But he later moved it overseas, brought it back to the States, and it was stolen in California.

Pity though. If this were the same bike, it would have made a great story.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
One of my rides is the opposite of what's being posted. Instead of a retro frame with modern componets, how about a modern frame with retro components?

I bought this frame because it was the only LOOK model still availible with down tube bosses. I sold off the new HSC threadless fork and added an older straight blade threaded fork. It's a mix of 8 speeds Dura Ace with some DA 25th anniversary parts thrown in for the bling factor.....

·
What the Hell is going on
5,188 Posts
Schwinn Paramount

It's steel and it's lugged. It's all Dura Ace 7401 8 speed with a DA 7410 crankset. The correct DA 7401 crankset looks sooo ugly compared to the 7410. My tush didn't like the Flite saddle so I replaced it with a white San Marco Regal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Love the Paramount!

JaeP said:
It's steel and it's lugged. It's all Dura Ace 7401 8 speed with a DA 7410 crankset. The correct DA 7401 crankset looks sooo ugly compared to the 7410. My tush didn't like the Flite saddle so I replaced it with a white San Marco Regal.
What a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Late 1980's Tommasini SLX Super Prestige with Ultegra 9 speed STI

Ramjm_2000 said:
I have to admit I have an attraction for classic steel/lugged frames with a modern twist. I've seen several Nags, Rellos, Merckx, and the like upgraded with newer components and look fantastic. Unfortunately, I've also seen some retro/modern interpretations that look hideous. I'm planning on starting a Neo/Retro build myself and would LOVE to see those modernized classics for some ideas and just admire other peoples efforts. So let’s see those neo classics!
Late 1980's Tommasini with Ultegra 9 speed STI

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Gawd that's a pretty bike, Jason.

I keep coming back and staring at it. I really need to drop a deposite and get in line (40 months now, I think) for one of his masterpieces.

1 - 20 of 838 Posts