Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was traveling over a year ago I ran across a NOS lugged masterpiece in a small shop. They have a reputation for high-end-only and open just 3 days a week. I'd wanted to stop there for awhile and could not believe what I found in his out-of-the-way corner window . . . the Italian I can never hope to ride . . . the stuff my dreams are made of!

The owner saw me transfixed, walked over & says, "yeah, had that a long time & need to sell it. . .I'll make you a heluva deal." The price he named was painful to hear. . . still, beyond my means. I pried myself free and moved on.

Over the next year I kept that frame tucked in the back of my mind. I kept telling my wife, "you know, I'll bet if I walked in with cash . . ." But the reality is I drive a Honda and to dream of a Ferrari or Alpha Romeo. . .well, I can dream, right? (And of course we'd previously had the "this is the last bike, right?" conversation)

In August this year my wife & I were on the road and I convinced her to detour just to see if it was still there. As we rolled up - GASP! IT WAS GONE!. We went in anyway and . . . the owner had moved it directly in front of the cash stand. Oh the agony to hear him say, "yeah, I'm going to get that one sold . . . make you a good deal!"

Ok, you know where the story is going! We had "The Conversation" again ("this is the last bike, right?") . . . and this time a directive: sell stuff, get the money first.

It took SIX WEEKS and I lived the definition of expressions like "pins & needles," "sweating bullets," . . . Instead of that frame whispering in my dreams, the owners words haunted my nightmares, "I'm going to get that one sold!" No lie, my hands shook a bit when I dial the phone 2 weeks ago to see if it was still there. The answer was yes and we made the deal. Thursday I drove over and picked it up. The wait, the dreams, the emotion . . . I have my "lifetime frame" YMMV

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2001 Tommasini

Thanks guys . . .

It's a 2001 techno/Columbus Nemo tube set. The shop never dealt Tommasini, was a 1-off purchase in '02 from the days when William Lewis was the US distributor. Roger (owner, operator, master Campy mechanic) tells me that when he unpacked the frame there was a mummified scorpion in the box. He shot framesaver in the tubes day one and the frame has been untouched for the past 7 years.

The top tube graphic is not the current "winged T." You can't tell in this lighting but the faint "spider lines" have a very subtle blue & light green tint. You can only see the color in bright light. Very elegant and subtle in the sunlight!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, maybe the fireplace is a bit over the top!

I was taking these pics when my wife came home. She walked in the door and cracked up, "enjoying a romantic evening with your new bike?" (All she can tell you is that it's black!)

Roger (at the shop) tells me he's had dozens of guys drool over this frame. He thinks if it had been a 55 or 56 it would have been sold a long time ago. We had a long visit talking retro stuff & "riding in the day" (Cutters, Breaking away, you know the stuff!) He ended up saying he thinks that frame was supposed to wait in his shop 7 years for me. Hey, no argument from me!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Posted in "Neo Retro" because . . .

This will definitely be a retro-inspired build. It's a modern frame and will get a modern component group (09 Centaur/alloy . . . maybe an older silver alloy group) But . . .

I've got a set of 34 yr old cinelli Campione Del Mondos that have never been mounted (yeah, NOS in the plastic wrapper with the old crests - beautiful!) A Cinelli 1-a stem and older Campy aero Record post with a black Team Pro will round out the top end. The bars will be wrapped in black velox w/shellac.

I also have an extra set of '05 Chorus hubs (old style hub bodies/never laced/in the box.) Need to research rims, plan to lace to a low profile box rim, eyeletted/silver of course! I'd like to finish off with some skinwalls. I'm going for an "elegant gentleman's racer" look. I think the rims will be easy, any suggestions for 700c skinwalls?

·
Registered
447 Posts
On the bars. I never had any luck getting the campy brifters to sit right (comfortable for me) on the cinelli bars that I have. Maybe you will have better luck and those bars would certainly look the part. If it were me I would go tubular on the wheels and mount up a nice set of Veloflex. This going to be an everyday ride or Sunday go to meeting kind of thing? Anyway - good luck and post up pics when complete. I've always liked Tommasini.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, deffo Veloflex Pave - I had some red ones on my Mercian. They weren't overly durable, but look great. Clearly they come in black (and yellow and blue). Ride very very nice tho - almost like a tubbie.

Nice find. Assume you're going quill stem??

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The paves look pretty good, thanks! Yep, def. a quill. I have a cinelli 1a in 105 - it's not new but it's pretty clean and shouldn't detract from the bars.

This won't be just a Sunday bike. . .but my budget Italian racer is for everyday. This one will come out when the sun shines. Tommasini is really beyond my means and I really lucked out (got this for way way less than the current new price!) Thanks for looking! :)

G

·
Awesome, thanks for posting the extra pictures. I'll pile on for some veloflex tires as well, maybe Ambrosio rims with those hubs you talked about? I think one of the newer alloy groups would be a nice touch, though I might consider Campy Delta brakes, I've always liked the way they look.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I consider myself to be relatively immune to bike lust, but wow that is one gorgeous frame. Congratulations on snagging it and I look forward to seeing the pics once you've finished the build.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For tires I would definitely pick Veloflex Pavé 22mm. Beautiful classic look, not too expensive and a great ride.

If you can find them, Ambrosio Excellence rims in black or silver would look awesome with that frame. I've seen them in person and they're very well made.
Can't find a proper picture, but imagine these in black or silver:

I'd also have a hard time choosing components for a frame like that... but I think a mid '90s Record groupset (with downtube shifters) would look nice.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love those Pave pics! The Ambrosio look nice but Google says hard to find. To be honest I was thinking mavic open pro or even velocity razor. Not in a rush though, and I plan to spend some research time looking at all my rim options.

My first inclination for a group was to grab an '09 Centaur group before they all disappear. That's what I have on my other Italian frame and I love the new ergos. . . Having ridden downtubes for decades I'm liking brifters! (Sad to see Campy did not continue an all silver alloy group for next year.)

But I hear ya about the dt shifters - def. adds to the retro look. Good news is I'm in no rush. I have 3 other bikes to ride so I have plenty of time to decide on options.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.